This is not right - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default This is not right

So I made a post yesterday about Igor acting differently.
Last night was super cold, so I took Igor out of his cage early, here at 03:26 am.

Usually when I take him out at this time, he’ll run around my bed and have fun. Now... now he’s worrying me.

He’s sitting against me, unblinking, and unmoving. I can just see his little noise moving as he smells things.
It’s weird, and I’m scared sick. I’ve never seen him do this.

What can this behaviour mean? Is there something extremely wrong with him?
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

It seems like you need to get him warm, and keep him warm, fast. I am no expert but it sounds like he could be so cold he is attempting hibernation. Keep trying your best and maybe take him to the vet if he is still acting strange when it warms up again. Best of wishes
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey I just saw this after I replied to your last post. I didn’t ask this over there, but I was wondering if you have a heat lamp for his cage? Ceramic heat emitters are great, but they’re pretty pricey. I usually use a 100watt one and then keep it slightly off of the bed so it doesn’t get too hot. A thermometer is also a must. You’ll want the cage to be between 75-78 degrees F (fact check that just in case). Wishing Igor the best<3
Vallyrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I actually found a related post about this back in 2012. Apparently, these little stand stills and staring off to the distance is normal.

But, I had a ceramic heat emitter in my old house, but because I had an open wire cage, it didn’t do much. We moved and Igor’s cage is now in a closed off closet, which will make heating a lot easier.

I’ll be going to the reptile shop to get another one, but I’ll have to monitor it manually, cause buying a ceramic lamp and a thermostat is impossible for my poor mom.

After this lockdown stuff ended here, I’ll be getting a part time job to help pay for stuff. But for now, I’ll have to take it easy on my mom’s wallet.

Is the risk too great to do it manually? I can even put an alarm on my phone for every hour or two, so that I go check on the temperature in the cage.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I completely understand about the money thing. I was using a thermostat for a while, but frankly it was freaking me out anyway. So I just checked constantly throughout the day and turned it on/off as needed. Checking at night won’t hurt, just do what you think is best. I got to a point (fairly quickly) where I knew where to put the lamp so that his bed would be the right temperature even if directly under the lamp was too hot. Even then, Spike slept under the lamp if he was really looking for more heat. Like I said in one of my other posts, that was with a 100 watt lamp and I kept it off-center from the bed. I was going to move to two 60 watt lamps, but I didn’t get a chance to see how well it worked. I hope that all makes sense and helps!
Vallyrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2020, 03:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes it does! Thank you so much for your input! I’ll try my very best to make the cage temperature right for Igor when we get the lamp!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddDarkMatter91 View Post

But, I had a ceramic heat emitter in my old house, but because I had an open wire cage, it didn’t do much. We moved and Igor’s cage is now in a closed off closet, which will make heating a lot easier.

I’ll be going to the reptile shop to get another one, but I’ll have to monitor it manually, cause buying a ceramic lamp and a thermostat is impossible for my poor mom.

Is the risk too great to do it manually? I can even put an alarm on my phone for every hour or two, so that I go check on the temperature in the cage.
To be honest as said before, the CHE being used without a thermostat isn't recommended. Its also not very practical either, with a hot water bottle you can leave it a fair few hours before its lost its heat - heat rises so the blankets on top top of the cage will help keep the heat in.
A che you can't use the blankets, and you will have to check it super often like less than a hour, and if you turn it on forget the bulb will overheat, which honest wouldn't be great.

The thermostat stops the lamp from getting too hot, and monitors the heat 24/7. I wouldn't recommended using it without one, its a lot of risks, and you need to sleep, not stay up all night to keep checking his temp and turning on and off the temp.
Also by constantly turning it on and off the bulb will blow faster, a pulse thermostat that doesnt turn it on and off just pulses heat when needed will make it last longer.

I would stick with what you already for heating, until you can get the thermostat. I think we had this conversation last year too.

Last edited by Ria; 07-17-2020 at 03:40 AM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lol yeah we did, but there’s always this nagging feeling that, maybe, one night, the water bottle won’t be enough, and I’ll wake up to Igor in a devastating state.

That’s why I’m trying to find something a little more full proof, you know. A heat lamp, or a heater, or something. But, if you honestly think the water bottle is enough, then I’ll buy the lamp this month, not use it, and buy the thermostat in two months, and wait for next winter to activate it.

We’re already in the middle of winter here, almost done, which is reassuring.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Honestly I think he is doing okay. He is very good at going to heat when needed, you also have blankets on the cage which will help. I generally think the hot water bottle is a lot safer.

I don't know what your main house heating is like, or how hot you would want to make it but maybe turn your room radiator up a little to give your room some extra warmth. Or like a space heater if you have one already put it closer to him but no too close.

You can also add in extra bedding for Igor just to make sure he is definitely warm.

Hand warmers I don't how easy or cheap but they are great for extra warmth if needed. Try tying them to the bars with some tin foil near them to bounce the heat from them around more.

I have no idea how practically, easy or cheap any of those would be for you, maybe have a look but I hope that you can do something to ease your stress.

I'd worry about if your turned the heat on fell asleep or got busy and then came back and there was an issue because it overheated. They arent really safe without the thermostat.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Our house doesn’t have a radiator, only people with money have that in their houses here, now that I think about it &#x1f602;

Honestly, I like the bedding idea, but the bedding here at our pet shops aren’t the best quality. It’s like, pine shavings, or ash wood shavings, etc.

I have actually thought about those hand warming things, and they are pretty cheap around here. They are small, and I can reuse them and put them in his cage, like you suggested. Only problem is finding them. One day the shops have them, the other, there’s non in sight.
But that’s a definite option.

I’m glad that you think the bottle is enough. It really calms me. I’ll check with my mom about the hand warmers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in