Hedgehog Central banner

Scared but still truckin

894 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Brooke2Lancelot 
#1 · (Edited)
I went away for 9 days and my 6 month old hog is back to being a scaredy hog. So it goes! Last night I was laying down on the couch instead of having her in my lap, so when I woke her up to encourage her to be more comfortable with me, instead of hiding in her sleeping bag she had to crawl over me to get to the other side of the couch instead of just climbing off my lap. I sometimes can't tell if she's sleeping or just hiding but she's definitely just been hiding since I've been back. It was nice to see her doing a bit of an explore over new territory :grin:

I'm curious to hear other people's stories of behavior after returning to their pet after an extended absence. I think Reg remembered me but maybe 9 days away was long enough that she forgot that she trusted me! Who knows.

#2 ·
I can’t even leave for one night.
I am convinced that Igor, my boy, is separation aggressive.
When I sleep over at someone else’s for the night and I come back in the morning, he’s a completely different hedgehog. He bites me, huff, balls, and all kinda of stuff.

So thanks to that, I don’t go anywhere anymore. 😂

#3 ·
Oh that sounds so extreme! Do you have anyone to look after Igor when you're gone or is that just when he's left on his own for a night?

I'm happy to say that it's been 2 weeks now and my Reg is mostly back to normal, and is even getting a more exploratory. Turns out she likes climbing up my couch cushions to run along the back of the couch!

#4 ·
I’ve only been out at night so far.
I was about to leave for 2 days to help someone watch dogs, so I made a to do list for my mom to look after him.

But luckily that was cancelled. He isn’t really an open hog. He doesn’t like being handled or disturbed. Especially by other people other than me. For example, my brother is 7 and he constantly wants to pet Igor when he sees him, even if I keep telling him he doesn’t like it. Igor will jump and poke my brother, scaring him.

I’m glad she’s back to normal again! Lol Igor loved doing that too when I first got him, but he isn’t as agile as it seems. He fell of the couch railing and I didn’t allow him back up there. 😂😅

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.