Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bonding? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192514)

Spiky_Floof<3 01-06-2020 04:49 PM

Bonding?

Hi all!

I see all these pictures and videos of hedgehog being completely relaxed and happy on their backs, but Holly hates being on her back and puffs up when I try to soothe her, I can rarely pet her face also. She is not a big treat fan and likes to stick to her regular food. Any tips to get her more comfortable with being on her back/belly rubs?

Emc 01-06-2020 04:59 PM

Think about it; being on their back is a vulnerable position, and they are prey animals - tame or not, it is incredibly common for the majority of hedgehogs to tolerate being in this position for more than a minute. Many of them also do not like having their stomach rubbed, or even being pet on their face/visor.

With social media, you get false expectations. Yes, there are some hogs who genuinely do not seem to care about being on their back, and having belly massages - but they are a drop in the ocean, and it is not common behaviour for even a very tame hedgehog.

Also, kind of unrelated but also not; am I the only one who thinks it looks like the majority of these hedgehogs are being touched/inappropriately stimulated? I've always found it a little unnerving that it seems the majority of hogs who like belly rubs are males - and i've wondered forever if there's a connection somewhere to how they're being petted in their genital region.

Ria 01-06-2020 06:51 PM

Holly is really tame, she hates being on her back, which is common for a lot of hogs.

I can stroke her face sometimes though, not all the time and she lets me know when she has had enough ect, I can also stroke the tips of her ears sometimes, this depends on her mood and I can neverrr do both at the same time. But it always depends on her, some weeks she wants it more days in the week and other times she may go a whole week not wanting it, some days she will happily lay there for a good 2 mins just with her face being stroked, and then other days it only lasts a few seconds not even a minute.

It all depends on the hedgehog. Some don't mind it and like it, but others hate it and won't enjoy it at all. A bit like with everything they are all totally different

Also I agree with you emc it does a look a bit like that and I'm sure there may be something with the majority who like it being male!

Spiky_Floof<3 01-06-2020 08:07 PM

Okay, thank you guys! Just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong. haha :)