Grumpy hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grumpy hedgie

I have had a 2 hedgies for almost 2 months. One still hisses and bites every time I handle her. What can I do to stop this behavior ? Or is this just going to be her personality?
jenbode5@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

You just need to be patient with him/her. Take her out of the cage and handle her daily, put her in a snuggle sack, let her sleep in your hoodie pocket, etc.
Some hogs just take a lot longer than others to bond with their owners. I know some hedghogs take a full year to click with their owners.. Just be patient and don't give up!
Good luck! <3
HedgieDreams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you housing both in the same enclosure? Are they male or female? Are they litter siblings or two hediges from different parents? When are you handling them, at night when they’re more active, or during the day when they’re asleep? How often do you handle/bond with them?
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

When she bites are keeping her out and handling her or putting her away?
And do you use anything scented?
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post

^^^^ This. How you are reacting to her behavior may encourage/reinforce the behavior. Yes, she may be just a normal defensive hedgehog and you'll have to learn to interact with her differently than how her sister likes to interact.

However answer the question's Ria posed. Lets look at how you interact with her and how you react to her defensiveness and biting.

Biting is often a behavior that they learned got them the result they wanted, to be left alone. It is one that normally can be untaught.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post

I keep handling her , I don't put her back because she bit me. I handle her and night. They are sibling sisters and get along fine..
jenbode5@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had my hedgie for almost 3 years now and she is still grumpy with me. She doesn't bite, but she hisses and puts her quills up. She hates to be touched. I've tried everything to try to make her get used to me, but nothing has worked. I've done some reading and some hedgehogs just like their own company. So I wish you luck and hope yours gets used to you.
Hazel'smama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine is a mostly grumpy 1 year old. This a little routine that’s helped mine. I take him out with a “blankey” to cover him and put him on the carpet, Get on my knees, lean over and curve my arms around him to form a big hiding place. I have some mealworms in a cup to get his attention. Since it’s kind of dark and he smells treats he comes out and I feed them to him one by one. He has gotten used to this little routine and has started to feel safe. He sniffs me, grooms himself and stretches. As soon as I sit up though he’s all huffy puffy again but he’s getting a little better.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 04:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I keep handling her , I don't put her back because she bit me. I handle her and night. They are sibling sisters and get along fine..
Thats good that your not putting her back when she bites, do you do anything to try and like discipline the hog - blowing in the face, spraying water in the face (Apparently some people found it recommended somewhere so I'm just seeing if you do or not) because both these can end up making the biting worse as they see it as a threat.

Can you tell when she is going to bite? Watching for it might help in understanding why she is biting - for example is it when put your hands right in front of her. If so then just keep your hands away from her face.

It may be that she would rather be handled slightly different to her sister, so she is biting you because she isn't comfortable with you.

Holly my hedgehog, is a really relaxed girl. But she likes to bite and hold onto my top when walking because it helps her feel more secure. She bites others when they don't handle her right because she doesn't feel secure. She bites if you smell like food. I can see when she is going to bite though, so I can stop her biting other people!
But I learnt the pattern of when she was biting and just changed things a bit like I changed how I carry her around to make her feel more secure so she does it less now ect.

So if you can watch for when the biting is happening a pattern then you can change how you do things with her so that the biting doesn't need to occur.
She may still be grumpy, but at least the biting would be gone. Although handling her differently may get her to be less grumpy you never know.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in