Sleeping in pee and poop - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleeping in pee and poop

Hello everyone. Balin, my hedgie, is about 3 years old, but it's been with me for a year. English isn't my first language, so I'm sorry for all my mistakes.

In the last couple of months Balin has started to poop inside his hiding and to sleep on it. It wasn't a sudden change, it was a progressive thing. I don't know exactly why he does it, but I tried different things to make him stop: I've changed his linens, his bedding, the way I cleaned his things and I've monitored the temperature of his cage, but nothing has worked.

I clean his feet and belly everyday, and his cage and his hiding too, but all that had not been enough: his skin on his belly, penis, anus and legs became irritated. I've already been to the vet several times and i also cured him well, but it's a problem that comes and goes, because he doesn't stop sleeping in his own poop!

Please, is there anyone who have or have had the same problem? How can I correct this bad habit?
Inora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Have you tried swapping his bed with his litter and seeing if he still does it?
Is he still being active on his wheel and pooing on his wheel?
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

No, I didn't, I'm going to try that for sure. I've tried to change his old hiding, thinking that the smell of it could have been perceive as a stimulus to poop, but nothing changed.

Now he's not very active, but that's because the irritation on his legs has become more severe, so he still runs on his wheel, but much slower and for a shorter period of time than he used to.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Try cleaning out the cage, and swapping the wheel and littler with the hide and see if that changes anything

Also do you have a different substrate for the bedding to the litter under the wheel? If its different they tend to keep in the one substrate - doesnt always work but it has a lot of the time.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'll certainly do it. thank you so much! I'll post un update in the next two weeks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in