Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2019, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!

I went on vacation for about 6 weeks. During this time I had left my hedgehog, Taro with a pet sitter who owns a hedgehog as well. However, when I got Taro back, she was acting paranoid, jumpy, and she also bites me. She is usually a super sweet and calm hedgehog who lets anyone handle her so this change in behaviour worries me. I was wondering why she is acting like this.
TaroHeggo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Maybe you smell different and she doesn't know its you? Or maybe she bonded to pet sitter so its just a case of getting her re used to you?

Try giving it a couple weeks, go back to the start of the bonding process and then see what happens. Alter bonding sessions so she can just lay in a pouch on ur lap without being touched for a while.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ours gets like that in the spring when we are gone for a week at a time working. they like consitantcy and if not handled every day by the same person they seem to lose the idea of being handled. Ours will get back to normal in a few days of normal handling.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

Given that theyre not naturally very sociable animals, if theyre not handled regularly they can very quickly fall back into unsociable habits. Many hedgehogs also bond to one person - and 6 weeks is a long time to be away, so giving the pet sitter the benefit of the doubt and as to whether they handled the hedgehog regularly or not, your hog likely bonded to the pet sitter while you were away.

Youre going to have to start bonding her to you all over again. Give her an old t-shirt, hand feed her her favourite snacks, take her out of her enclosure and let her spend time with you, etc. Hopefully she should come back around quickly when she realises who you are, but patience is a virtue.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

One thing about my hog, if I leave and have a sleep over at someone's place for the night, and I come back the next morning to Igor, he's always in such a bad mood. I didn't even leave him for a day, literally just the night, and I never even bond with him during the night, so I can't really pin point the reason for this behavior.
I just stopped going to sleepovers all together and he seems to like my level of submission. XD
Brooke@Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
One thing about my hog, if I leave and have a sleep over at someone's place for the night, and I come back the next morning to Igor, he's always in such a bad mood. I didn't even leave him for a day, literally just the night, and I never even bond with him during the night, so I can't really pin point the reason for this behavior.
I just stopped going to sleepovers all together and he seems to like my level of submission. XD
He didn't hear you there in the night so he got jealous and hated you for leaving him!
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

They do really need us ,they just will never let us know. That's part of their charm .
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

TALK TO THE PET SITTER!!! If your pet is acting differently, you need to talk to the person who was caring for her. Maybe they handled her roughly, didn't take her out, or did something that she wasn't used to and now she is scared to be taken out again. Try to give her her favorite treats and just give her love.
Also, if you were gone for six weeks, she might be a little miffed at you and therefore acting up.
Good luck!!

Last edited by Spiky_Floof<3; 08-25-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add more information
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in