Weird behaviour - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weird behaviour

Ive had my hedgehog peanut for 6 days now. He has been sleeping in his sleep sack and tonight I was watching him and after he ate and drank he just laid down right in the middle of the cage. He then got up and went to his litter box and laid down. He was all puffed up, prickly, shaking and even his face was buried in the littler and he was breathing heavy. I’ve just started handling him so I didn’t want to grab him out of there but I was able to pull the little box closer and just tell him he was okay and he finally uncurled and crawled into his sleeping bag. We’re struggling to find a good temp and we just have 1 heating lamp. It was 78 in the cage when this happened and usually it’s a bit cooler but hasn’t bothered him before tonight. Does this sound like he could’ve just been hot or something else going on? He also hasn’t been going on his wheel too much but has been eating and drinking lots.
taylore133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

How old is peanut? Was it lighted or dark when you were watching him? It could be sensitivity to bright light, smells, or even sudden movements, or just him still getting used to the habitat since its only been 6 days. You could try putting an old shirt of yours in there to get him used to your smell, we use a little 1inch by 1 inch hedgehog bonding pillow that we got online lol. If he's just a few month old baby, eating drinking sleeping and pooping lots is normal! When its warm out our little one usually splays out like this but now that its colder she usually likes to go into her burrow igloo bed. Observe him for a few more days hope it gets good!

Last edited by Esquinaonthesea; 06-20-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Esquinaonthesea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

How is peanut doing now ?? An age would help with giving ideas. Maybe get another hide other than the fleece sack like the igloo, this way if he gets too hot in the sack he has the option of the igloo, 78f (25.5c) is a good temp, you could try lowering it to 71.6f (22c) 73.4f (23c) 75.2f (24c) or 77f (25c) 5 degrees can make a huge difference.

I'd lower it slowly so you can see which temp is best for peanuts. Don't go below 68f (20c) because for majority hedgehogs they do start hibernating below that.

If the temp is too high then that would explain not using the wheel, when it gets too hot Holly doesnt use her wheel as much, if at all. I wouldnt worry too much about this especially if eating, drinking and pooing is normal.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in