Grumpiness Galore... Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grumpiness Galore... Help!

Hello all. I am new here and I must say I'm thankful for things like these. I have a question. More like a dilemma rather. I have had my hedgehog almost a year this July. It has not been easy whatsoever. He is never excited to be held. I come at him sideways and not abruptly as to not hurt him and not freak him out when I go to hold him. The issue however, and I know this is an issue with many people, is the scheduling of his waking activity versus my waking activity. We are almost never awake at the same time and I do not hold him often and I know that is total and complete problem. Even when I did get to hold him more often he was never really excited about it. In the beginning I would get bit a few times and of course naturally I would make sure my hands and my body didn't have any foreign smells that can upset him. This is what is happening now though. I know the normal hissing and popping and Rapid breathing sounds they make when they are being apprehensive because they're scared or in a bad mood, I know all that. And I know that I have seen him do this when he was aware of my presence and probably anticipated that I wanted to hold him. I don't want to wake him and freak him out in order to bond, so I wait till he's awake naturally. What I have been noticing though is even when I'm in the room and it is excessively quiet and I'm not making any sounds too loud to disturb him or even if there is a sound and it's not loud I would see him under his blanket moving around making those same actions with the rapid breathing and freaking himself out as if somebody was around him annoying him. Can anyone explain to me why he would still be doing this apprehensive, scared Behavior even if somebody was not disturbing him? I'd really like to know and I appreciate it
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

My first baby was just a grumpy guy. He popped, clicked, hissed, the whole shebang whenever I woke him up, and he was a rampant biter so I'd have to pick him up from behind when he was balled up. Sometimes that's just your hedgie, not you at all. He'd do that when he sensed I was near his cage, too, because he anticipated being picked up. My new girl is the sweetest thing, but nothing will stop her from hissing in protest when I wake her up either.

For picking them up - my second breeder told me to come at them quick and scoop them up, but I've always found it to be a little less stressful on them to talk to them before disturbing their blankets at all so they have some warning you're there, then be very slow and gentle. I equate it to someone coming in my bedroom at 3AM and ripping my warm covers off me versus nudging my shoulder LOL.

As far as y'all's schedules - what I've found with both my babies is that they're sooo much grumpier in the evening. The peak time for bonding with them both was about 11AM/12PM until around 5PM/6PM. It was never really a problem to wake them up since they just nap when we bond. Since I got her, I just pop my girl in my sweatshirt or bathrobe and tote her around for a few hours.
Have you considered trying to take your fellow out at different times in the day to see how his moods change throughout? No doubt he'll grumble no matter when you take him out, but you may find him a little less hissy at 2PM versus 9PM or whatever time he prefers.

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in