Sometimes not in the mood for bonding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2019, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sometimes not in the mood for bonding?

I assume it’s natural but thought I’d ask anyway, just in case. I’ve been taking Buddy out every night for about an hour around 9am but tonight he didn’t seem to want to. He came out of his hide and took the snack (Apple slice) but every time I tried to get him he would back away. He may still be getting used to me also. I’ve only had him a few weeks. Thought?
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

Ah, a classic case of a hedgehog being a hedgehog. Theyre naturally reclusive creatures; theyre not exactly sociable or an animal who typically seeks human-attention, thus if they have the option to, most would choose to hang out by themselves vs come play with the human.

To get him used to you, you have to pick him up and take him out of his enclosure - even if he doesn't come to you. Otherwise, he's just going to learn that he gets everything he wants without having to interact with you - which will result in a pretty antisocial hedgehog. You can give him the odd 'off' day where he can do what he pleases, but generally speaking you want to pick him up at least every other day, and spend a couple hours cuddling with him and just interacting in general (spend time with him when he's awake, talk to him, offer him snacks). After only a few weeks, he's still getting used to you - but it is still vitally important to the taming process that he is still handled regularly during this time, even if he doesn't actively come to you seeking it.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Will do! On that note, do you all take them out only in the evening? I know they’re nocturnal so they sleep most of the day so I was wondering.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes! I usually take Ginger out for around an hour, or if I'm short on time, thirty minutes, at 10 pm or even later. She loves running around and since she is nocturnal, she especially loves running in the dark night.
Hedgie~Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Since they are nocturnal, they are going to be more active at night. So, if you want to play with your hedgehog, the evening times will be best. But, I sometimes get Christina out during the day just to hang out and bond. She’ll sleep the entire time, but she’s still getting used to smells, sounds, and movements, so as long as they’re in a nice warm blanket or snuggle sack, you can take them out during the day!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
Since they are nocturnal, they are going to be more active at night. So, if you want to play with your hedgehog, the evening times will be best. But, I sometimes get Christina out during the day just to hang out and bond. She’ll sleep the entire time, but she’s still getting used to smells, sounds, and movements, so as long as they’re in a nice warm blanket or snuggle sack, you can take them out during the day!
Exactly what I want to do, so he gets used to us and noises! Also so my dog gets used to him too! 😉

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in