Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   *Reader Discretion* Constant Humping (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191020)

sydhadfield 03-22-2019 10:39 PM

*Reader Discretion* Constant Humping

Hi all, I hate to even have to write about this, but want to get opinions. Our hedgehog is 2 years old and we have had him for 3 months. Is this old enough to be out of their "teenage" phase where they are especially into this. I know the whole "boys will be boys," spiel but I feel like his humping and masturbating is excessive, especially considering his age? We get him out of his cage and put him on the carpet. Humps. Get him out of the bath. Humps (Especially frustrating because we've just washed all the previous residue off). Pick him up and put him back down. Humps. Several times in just one hour with him. Then if we pick him up after, it's on us, our clothes, etc. Obviously he does it in his cage because we find it all over his blanket and his belly is constantly crusty with it, but we can't bathe him all the time because it will dry out his skin.

Does anyone else have a hedgehog that seems excessively..active?

Yukidama's mama 03-23-2019 10:28 AM

Yup, my boy is exactly the same! He will do the bottom wiggle multiple times in one night, whilst he’s out with us, in the bath and in his own time during the night hours! He’s not even phased doing it whilst I’m holding him in my hand! >< and usually gets one after he eats an insect! Lol. It seems like he can’t control when it happens. I’ve seen him have to stop running on his wheel because it started happening!

Sometimes it’s just a quick butt wiggle or sometimes he goes for it and adopts the downward dog pose, pops out his back legs and then falls over because his back legs are locked >< when he first did I was so worried because no one else’s hog did it and I thought he was having seizures :/ but thankfully no, he’s just overly active!! I’ve only heard of a few hogs that act excessively like this and others who barely see anything of the sort.

Thankfully he seems to enjoy me wiping him down and getting the mess out of his fur! The jokes on me I guess lol. Hates a bath though so I just use a wet q-tip and then tease it out with my fingers. Someone recommended using coconut oil to get it out, but it comes out easily enough with warm water.

There was a time I was having to wipe him down multiple times a week. He once even had a ‘Something about Mary’ hair do going on, no joke. Haha

He’s 2.5yrs old next month and he’s been like this since we brought him home at 4.5 months old! He seems messier after turning 1yrs old lol but not sure how much of that was just me not realising at the time what it was! :lol: