I’m new and posting a lot sorry - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I’m new and posting a lot sorry

Me and my girlfriend have very different ways to handle sonic, she’s our first hedge and I’m sure we both are doing things wrong, but she says I am to fast and impatient with her but that is because I don’t let her ball up and run away from me in her cage, if I’m trying to do time outside of her cage I will pick her up while she is balled up to take her out, any help, or information would be greatly appreciated
SonicTheHedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

A lot of people do it It differntly. However slow is the most preffered way as they dont like fast movements.

When Holl wasnt used to me so much, I went a lot slower and scopped her up in my hands while shes in a ball.

Now I let Holly unball and then as fast as I can without scaring her I scoop her up without her being balled up.

As mad as it sounds but both times I spoke to her telling her its only me and that its just time for cuddles and stuff like that which once they get used to your voice does help a lot as they stay calmer.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

appreciate the advice just wondering, if she hisss and ball up should we stop and give up or do we continue our schedule, we haven’t agreed on which is the proper way and she thinks I’m being too rough by forcing her out of her cage.
SonicTheHedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I personally think its necessary to take her out even if she huffs.
Her cage is here safe haven. Its her territory, her house, home, bed, eat place, ect.
But in order for you to actually bond with her, you'll need her out of her safe haven, and get her use to you, and soon enough (or over a long period of time 😂.) she'll recognize you as her second safe haven.

And if you take her out while she huffs, it'll teach her that you don't take no for an answer.

My boy balled and huffed all the time for the first couple of weeks I had him. Slowly but surely, he started realizing huffing and balling up doesn't help, and I'm not a threat. So now we're at the stage were he make engine noises and huff (meaning he's irritated with me and my presence, too bad, I love him, and he can't do anything to stop it lol)

She'll get use to you eventually. But I don't think you'll get rid of the huffing, since they're frightened by sudden hands. But as Ria said, her voice calms Holly first, so maybe her huffing problem stopped. 😂
v4ns likes this.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

When we are taking them out we are actually waking them up to be fair, and like people they will always be grouchy about that.

Holly will still huff at first when I lift up her hide but I'm talking to her the whole time so after that inital short huff of being woken up, shes not huffy anymore. I used to get huffed loads even after picking her up. Now I just get huffed at a little bit for waking her but she stops after like a minute.

They are prey animals. If you can imagine being small and asleep in your safe place and then suddenly theres two giant hands come and disturb you you'd be scared right ?? Huffing and spiking up is their defence, and yes it can take a while to break but you have to be persistent.
No hedgehog, even after owning it for years, no hedgehog will never not huff at the inital wake up and picking up part. And if that does happen its an extremely rare thing.

Worst thing to do is give up honestly, you should never give up. Some hogs are naturally grumpy and dont get better. But others arent like that.

Most people find this has helped, put something in her cage that smells likes you, this helps them get used to your scent fast and as its in their safe place they will recognise the scent with safety.
Talking/singing to them. Even if you just say hi as you walk past them and they are asleep. Talk to them at any point, I cone home from college go to my room and just tell her about my day. Even though shes asleep, she still hears, and that still helps getting used to your voice. Also talk to her during bonding sessions, this helps really well too.
Another thing is when you have her out for bonding you need to have a place she associates with safety. Like a bonding bag or scarf or whatever. I wear this cardigan and Holly lays in the crook and sleeps, we only use bonding bags when shes with other people. But having the safe place they can hide helps with bonding and having it smell like you (sleep with it for a few days works best for getting you scent on it) really helps.

Problem is yes it may seem like your forcing them to do something but unless you want a forever grumpy hedgehog, you have to. Like stated before you cant bond with them properly unless they are out of their cage, and you also get a hedgehog you can interact with and theres no fun in that.

It took me a lot of work with Holly but she bonded with me in a day, and then fully trusted me in a week before I put in a lot of effort in though, i'd say we have a really strong and close bond now, she even responds when I call her by name !! That took work too haha.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

When I wake up Christina, I start talking to her, uncover her, give her a minute to cuss me out, scoop her up, and actually take her on a little walk. The “bounce” gets her up and moving then I place her on my bed for another minute until I start hanging out with her
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Haha I just talk to Holly from the moment I am in the room, because I dont have time earlier in the day I clean the wheel a bit before getting her out, so I'm talking to her when I do that (mosly complaing about why she has to make it so dirty) sometimes she huffs in response😂
I always take her out differnt every day, depending on her mood. I have had some days where she hasnt huffed. But 99% she does huff. Some days shes worse than others too. Some days if theres extra loud noises around she gets more jumpy. And if I ever have to wake her up early she gets right huffy.

I talk to Holly the whole time I'm doing anything like taking things out to clean. When I'm taking her hide off that I'm going to pick up ect
Thing is though I never full wake her up, so she just snuggles down to go back to sleep in "her spot"
She doesnt actually wake up until 9 which is when she then goes to her play pen for half an hour because she doesnt really like it and spends mire time trying to get out to me then playing.

Last edited by Ria; 03-15-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

My husband has been great with taking out Celestia. He waits until she unballs then he lets her smell his hand then he will scoop her up. He's incredibly patient and it seems she is already bonded with him, or getting there. We have only had her a week and 3 days! I'm still too nervous to get her out of her cage or handle her lots, so I have a LOT of work to do with her. She huffs and balls up often, and she makes her engine noise. I can't seem to get past the fear of her possibly biting, so that's my issue. I know you shouldn't let them win, with all the threats of huffing to be left alone, so that's why I don't even bother. I think once I handle her more outside of her cage, my confidence will build and I will eventually be able to get her out of her cage myself.
I definitely need advice though to help get me there.
Celestia85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

I hope this helps. I got my hedgie 6 mos ago as a 4 yr old frim a family who didn't have time for him anymore. He's grumpy and doesn't like to be handled. He pops and hisses and balls up. But he never ever bites or has tried to! So I take it all with a little humor. He's probably never going to be a snuggler, when we try he poops and pees and wriggles away but I keep in mind he was middle aged when I got him and he's never even attempted to bite so despite his grumpiness I love him anyway. You are already ahead of the game and yours is young!!! Don't be afraid to try!! You will see the rewards😊
Darcie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
I hope this helps. I got my hedgie 6 mos ago as a 4 yr old frim a family who didn't have time for him anymore. He's grumpy and doesn't like to be handled. He pops and hisses and balls up. But he never ever bites or has tried to! So I take it all with a little humor. He's probably never going to be a snuggler, when we try he poops and pees and wriggles away but I keep in mind he was middle aged when I got him and he's never even attempted to bite so despite his grumpiness I love him anyway. You are already ahead of the game and yours is young!!! Don't be afraid to try!! You will see the rewards😊
I LOVE this comment! Thank you for that! I feel a bit better and more confident now ❤️
Celestia85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in