A little less active, not sure how concerned I should be - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A little less active, not sure how concerned I should be

My hedgehog has seemed a little less active the past few days. Her stool and urine are normal as well as the frequency. She's eating her cat food and drinking like normal, but I'm still working on finding insects she likes so she won't eat more than the occasional cricket, but that's pretty normal. The only difference is she hardly uses her wheel lately. She also doesn't want to play as much when I take her out of her cage. She's as grumpy as usual when I pick her up and she still tries to squirm out of my hands (I got her about a month and a half ago and we haven't fully bonded and she doesn't like being picked up much). So overall, her only differences in her behavior is not wanting to run on her wheel or play much. But I'm still concerned. I took her to the vet last Friday for constant scratching, so I was wondering if she may still be tired form that? She also had the ivermectin injection at the vet (I didn't realize the dangers at the time and he insisted). That was nearly 5 days ago and it was a single treatment. Since her only issue is being more tired, I'm not sure if that's a factor or if I need to be worried. Or maybe it's too cold, so she's more tired... It's been colder out lately and my roommates don't like the heat up too high. She has a small cage, but I still only have one 60 watt CHE at the moment. In about a week and a half I'll have two 100 watt CHEs and then return my 60 watt. I put a bath towel and a sheet over the side of the cage the CHE isn't on to avoid a fire hazard. I'll buy some fleece to put in her cage tomorrow, but for now I have a hand towel over the back of her igloo. Is she in any immediate danger? Do I need to take her to a vet? Or will she be okay if I can keep her warm enough until I get my new CHEs? I know I post a lot of long messages (as some of you may have noticed), but since I'm so new to owning a hedgehog and this is the best resource I've found I just want to make sure I'm doing what I need to do to keep my hedgie happy and healthy.
HaineTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Put her on ypur body warm her right up wight your body heat and a blanket over the top, through your **** is fine, just warm her up completly (feel her belly check how warm or cold it is)

From what the others put on the post about the the injection, it sounds like one shouldnt do much harm. But I'm not sure as I have no idea what it is.

Its going to either be a problem with it being too cold and shes starting to get close to hibernation, or the injection. May be worth talking to your vet or a differnt vet about it.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, thank you. My thermometer says the cage should be around 73 degrees F, so about 23 C. In the last two days I've really tired to help keep her cage warmer. I also found an old pair of fleece pajama pants that I no longer wear, so I cut some pieces up and put them in her igloo. In the morning I'll check on her again and try to hold her for a bit (if she'll let me). The tough part is that she really doesn't like being held or snuggling, and she definitely still has enough energy to squirm and huff at me when I try. But I have a hedgehog carrying pouch that she likes being in, so I might be able to snuggle her while she's in that.
HaineTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

If she likes snuggling in the carry puch than try using that put it as close to skin as you feel okay with, and your body heat will warm her up, main thing is doing everything you can keep her warm. Some hedgehogs are fine at 23 C but most like it around 24-26 C
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can use tin foil on the top of the cage right up to the heat element with no fire risk. Heat will escape out the top most. It does sound like her pen may be a little cool for her.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

If you use the tin foil like that, remember to break a few holes on on the side, it wont loose as much heat but it will give good ciculation still. Also put it so that the shiney side is facing down into the cage it will bounce the heat back down to the bottom.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Searching the forums for answers to the same less active question. I don't have a heating problem. I have a 150 Watt bulb and the thermometer that shuts it on and off to keep her comfy. My big concern is the not using her wheel issue. I've had Penelope for 3 months now and she's LOVED her wheel. At first she had this small crappy one my brother bought when he got her for me and I quickly replaced it with a Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel which she also ran on every night, sometimes right when she woke up. For the past couple of weeks she has barely used it. I wake up many mornings without seeing any mess on it and putting her on it leads to her escaping off of it as fast as possible. I don't know what's changed. I recently took her to her first check up at the vet now that the New England weather is getting warmer and he didn't really suspect anything was wrong since everything else about her is normal.

HaineTheHedgie, has yours gotten better since early March? Anyone else experience this issue? I really want her to love her wheel again.
tananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Did the tilt on the wheel change ?? Some hogs dont like it tilting and prefer it more upright or some dont like it being too upright. The wheel you have I'm sure is the one that you can change the tilt on. Try this and see what happens.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I did a little while before she stopped using her wheel finally figure out how the tilt worked while washing it, but I was pretty sure I put it back in the same position. I suspected that she didn't like her litter pan anymore because I once saw her climb up onto the wheel leg and then get into the litter pan that way and thought that was odd of her. I bought a shorter litter pan from Volcano View's store and after some time passed using the new litter pan she's been on it pretty much every night again cause I wake up to giant messes. So it could have been a total coincidence or she had a bad experience with that old litter pan and changing it out made the difference.
tananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in