Very huffy and biting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frozenpretzel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Very huffy and biting

Quillson is 8-9 weeks old and when we brought her home yesterday she was so sweet. She’d let us hold her and she didn’t have a care in the world. Today around 5am she was just huffing and getting defensive. We let her be thinking she is just being grumpy. We tried to bond with her again recently and the same thing is happening. When I tried to get her out of her cage she seems very aggressive. Once we got her out of the cage she was fine running around the house and letting me pick her up. After playing I put her back and making her den and again she was defensive. She’s eating and drinking normally. Anyone with experience that can help??
Dan P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

If shes got used to her cage now then thats her space, she'll be very protective of it, and she wont be fully used you uet, so likely doesnt fully trust you at the moment, which play a part in it. Also they are always grumpy when you take them out though to be fair, but we need to for bonding so, if you stay consistent then it eventually wont be so bad
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Similar thing happened when I brought home Charlie. Even now, when I lift his igloo to take him out for bonding he will huff and curl up for maybe a minute. I just let him smell me and fully wake up before attempting to pick him up. I'd say just be patient!
Mecki likes this.
frozenpretzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

No matter which way I cut it, my first baby was always hurtfully overjoyed to return to his cage when I took him out LOL. I couldn't blame him - I'd be the same way if someone took me out of my warm bed in the middle of the night.
It sounds like your little one is still adjusting to her new home, so she may just be wary when y'all turn up. Try taking her out at different times of day too - Cecil was a demon from 2AM to 11AM, then he'd sweeten up from about noon to 3PM.

You may also want to bear in mind that she could be quilling or about to quill. It's not unusual for them to quill anywhere up to about 12 months of age. Both my kids were very VERY huffy and angry when quilling.

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in