Igor's Personality - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Brooke Lancelot
  • 2 Post By Darcie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've seen people on the forum all talk about how their hedgies are, and they all seemed to be a walk in the park against mine. And worse thing is, he's my first hedgie 😂 so I had to learn, quick.

I'd randomly walk into the room at times and just call my boy's name and ask him what he did wrong or where he is 😂 it doesnt scare him, it annoys him, cause he thinks he just got rid of me then my voice comes and he's like "ughhhhhhh fluff off!"

That's my hedge's personality. He ain't cuddly, he doesn't like to be pet. He doesn't like to be held. He likes to sleep, run on his wheel, and eat. That's that.

But, I personally am happy with his personality, cause I got loopholes! If he likes to sleep, I let him sleep in my bed and in my shirt. Now, he'll automatically climb into my shirt when its cold, or when he just feels lonely. (Or when we just finished bathing and hes cold and needs some body heat to heat him up)

Now, the petting part is difficult for some owners. Some people want a hedge that resembles those on TV and GIF's. My boy's the opposite of one. He huffs if you touch his head. He twitches when you touch his quils. He bites when you touch the fluff against his neck. BUT! He licks your finger when you rub his tummy while he sleeps 😊 lol I tried literally every spot on his body as a petting spot.
He hates it when you touch his ears. Don't do that. Quickest way to get him angry. Tail is fun for me. He scoots his butt in everytime I touch his tail, but its so cute! >^< unfairness!
He allows me to kiss his head once for 2 seconds. No longer. No more. Then he'll stand up and walk away.

Holding him (other people) is a no no. Its ok when I hold him, but when other people old him, he'll do his business on them... For some reason. I'm still not sure why he does that. It makes people dislike him, but whatever, he's my good boy.

His wheel was a great thing to add to his enclosure. Now he uses up all his energy at night, and has less left to be an a-hole at day.

Food has also been awesome. I give him apple every night with two mealworms/pupas/beetles. (he eats the beetles, yay!) I handfeed the insects, since I figure it does better for the bonding. I just don't use my fingers. I drop them into the palm of my hand and let him find it. If I use my fingers, he takes my skin along with the insects.

I think the biting was the thing that made me almost give up with him, because I was introduced to hedgehogs from my cousin who got one for christmas. Then she brought it over to out house for the holidays. When I first saw the hog, (she was still a baby, her coloration is black/grey) I thought to myself, I'll never get a hedgehog, they're way too exotic. I'd rather get a dog.

She handed me the hog to hold, and she immediately warmed up to me. She climbed all over me and slept on my chest...
I fell in love almost instantly. And over the holiday, I became that hog's mom. (Its not like her owner gave her any attention anyway) I let her sleep on me. I tried giving her treats, I refilled her food and water dish, I cleaned her cage, I did everything for her.
And every day I fell more in love.

My mom saw how much I loved the hog. She saw how responsible I was with her. So I had gotten one too not long after. Problem was, he wasn't my cousin's. He didn't love me instantly. He bit me. He huffed at me. He was mean.

And I almost gave him away. I almost made the worst mistake in my life. But, I thought about it. He's all I had at the time. I suffered from depression and anxiety, so I thought, let's give it one for shot.

Sure, he isn't the 'dream hog', but he's my hog, and I love him. And I wouldn't give him away, not for anything. He isn't just a hedgehog, he's my boy. And I love him with all his little quirks and talents.

I don't think anyone should give up on a hog, cause that hog came to you for a reason. You have it for a reason. Their personality might not be like other owners', but its your duty as an owner to decipher, uncode and own that hedgie. Tell them you love them, no matter how mean, cruel, or unforgiving they are, because sometimes, thats just what they need to hear.

Sorry for the long post, I just, I take this personally since I experienced it. And I don't want anyone to lose their hogs because of this. You can't choose the personality of your child. That doesn't mean its worth giving up on them.
belties likes this.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Haha Christina has a lot of similarities as Igor it sounds like! It’s like she can sense my presence in a room without me making any noise LOL and she’s quick to cuss me out too!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

My boy was the very same!! I had an extremely similar experience, and I'm so glad you didn't give up on your fellow. My angry guy was my first hedgie too.
Cecil started biting when he was a few months old, and his personality really changed after quilling. He got NASTY - he would bite all the time, hiss constantly. It was absolutely forbidden to touch his head or belly, even his sides. He would ball up, pop, click, hiss, and/or try to bite you. I was sad about it for a long time, but he showed me love in other ways. I got to know all the things I should and shouldn't do to minimize his reactions and lessen his stress, and we eventually had such a strong understanding and bond between us. He was a sweet boy in a lot of ways, and he was such a good little buddy.

Kudos to you for staying with your little guy. I think a lot of people imagine they'll be perfect little cuties all the time and aren't up to the task when their hedgies seem a little mean. I won't lie, I was disheartened much of the time with Cecil, but like you and your boy I was able to love him for who he is. It's so unfair to take a baby in and give them up later just because their personality doesn't suite you. The special things about these kids are that you have to earn their trust in every way and you figure out their personality but only very slowly, which are also the hard things about them. But it's so worth it once you do!

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you so much for sharing that. Sometimes I am very envious of the other hedgie owners who get to hug and cuddle theirs. Mine isn't that way but he never ever bites and I can kiss his head!! I love him regardless &#x1f60a;
shetland and moustachemoose like this.
Darcie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in