Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   When do you *really* spend time with your hedgehog? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190510)

Mecki 02-01-2019 09:32 PM

When do you *really* spend time with your hedgehog?

I'm curious. Aside from the standard recommendations of the "best" times to interact with your hedgehog, when do you find that you actually spend time with your hedgie?

Are you pretty consistent with set times or more random?

And for any of those various times, which of them are active times and which are napping times?

belties 02-01-2019 10:15 PM

Our little girl is very punctual. She is not very happy if she is not brought downstairs at 8:15 PM gets her 2 mealies and her shredded chicken and then has nap-exploreing-watching TV till 10:30 then its back to her pen for wheeling.

Stella'sMama 02-02-2019 12:03 AM

I usually just do it at night. Usually by 9 or earlier. I just watch TV and do homework with her on my lap

Ria 02-02-2019 04:03 AM

I get Holly at 7pm but she doesn't actually wake up, then we cuddle until 9pm and then at 9-10 we have a play time and she gets her insects. She loves it. If I'm late getting her she hates it.

Shrewbat 02-02-2019 01:22 PM

Shrewbles only doesn't mind being woken up at around 9pm... But she usually snuffles around with us for a few mins, poops (2 or 3), wees, eats a few pellets and then climbs back on my lap for a nap for an hour or so (and of course strokes and scratchies from mom). We put her back in her house... Usually she hops on her wheel and stretches... Then she drinks water, eats some more pellets and goes back to nest. But when I've checked on her later or in the early hours of the morning, she's out and about. She loves her wheel!

Brooke Lancelot 02-03-2019 04:38 AM

I take Igor out here at 5 am or 6 am and then I place him in my bed with me and he sleeps there the whole day until 6 - 8 pm then I put him in his cage, give him his two mealworms and applebits. It might not sound like alot, but I believe it has helped alot with our bonding.

Askeptosaurus 02-16-2019 02:18 PM

Ours alternate which ones get to run around the Hedge-proof room each night and it's usually just generically "when we start to go to bed." I also let them sleep in my hedgehog-proofed bed during the day when I sleep. I think the body stank helps bond them with us.

Antares 04-08-2019 07:28 PM

I generally take Yuki out around 7/8pm and let her just sit on my lap while I'm doing my thing at my desk in the den. She'll crawl around and I'll interact with her before she'll curl up and nap. I can tell when she wants to come out when I hear some rustling from her hut and she sticks her head out from under her blankie and looks up at me

horserider1130 04-08-2019 09:37 PM

im very random with the times i hang out with my little dude, but i think he likes it that way. whenever i have some spare time when doing homework or bumming around i get him out and he gets to decide what he wants to do. sometimes he naps in the fleece blanket on my bed he loves, but sometimes he wants to explore the bed and then i'll let him do that and play on the floor. i think he likes knowing im not going to make him do anything, he just gets to decide what he feels like doing and i facilitate it

moustachemoose 04-09-2019 08:34 PM

When Cecil was little, I had him out from about 9PM to midnight, give or take. As he got older, I'd take him out more like 7 or 8PM until 10 or 11. He was very mad in the mornings and in the afternoons between about 4PM-7PM. He was an angel between about noon to 3PM. LOL all these kids are a little different.

He was always a lazy boy, so no matter when I took him out he'd just want to curl up and nap.