When do you *really* spend time with your hedgehog? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

How do you know when they get upset if you haven't taken them out yet? I've been trying to figure out when Penny Jo likes to get up and be with us, but she's such a cuddler that I can never tell because she sleeps in her cage and comes out and sleeps some more.
tananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

Holly is like that such a cuddly little one and I was told when gets older she wont be so cuddly, well she'll be one on Saturday and she's as cuddly as ever !!
She tends to huff at me if I'm late but if I'm not late she doesn't huff at all really. And if I miss a night then I get huffed at even more and spikes really badly, and sometimes even bitten. Or she'll act like an angle and scare me by not being very active for a night.

Holly likes me getting her out at exactly 7pm. If I'm too early or to late she tells me all about it !!
After a while you'll learn to know, but Holly doest mind too much as long as she gets to cuddle me and sleep😂

Last edited by Ria; 04-18-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Emc

Coco is bomb-proof; the girl would snooze through the ending of the world, she loves her sleep. Sometimes I take her out at 6pm, sometimes 10am, and she just chills either in the pocket of my hoodie or in one of her cozy tepees or snuggle sacks while I do work until I put her back (which is usually 8-10pm, depending). And she could be with me for literally the entire day haha, depending on what I'm doing. I'm not really consistent with time, but she doesn't seem to care. I just make sure that I handle her and spend time with her daily, so she doesn't revert back to her old ways. When I first adopted her, she was incredibly anti-social and would huff anytime someone entered the room. I can't say I blame her, since I was her third home (at only 7 months old) and she didn't know who she could trust anymore. She'd calm down for a bit, but then would be triggered again in like 10 minutes and was a non-stop huffy ball of spikes. Now, she's a total sweetheart. She is oh so careful with fingers when people hand feed her snacks, and has only ever bitten me twice - months ago - when she mistook me for food.

She huffs initially if she's awoken from a nap, but what hedgehog (or human, lol) doesn't?! She usually settles in 2 minutes, and is happy to hang out wherever - so long as she's comfy and gets paid in snacks and massages! She usually wakes up at about 11pm-ish, and i'll spend a further 30mins-1hour with her, giving her her dinner and just hanging out before bed.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey there! Like Emc said, daily consistency is key. Example: Christina- mi princesa, mija, my angel, is ANYTHING but an angel, and that’s all my fault. When I first got her, it was a good deal out of timing; the breeder had some hoglets and they were selling fast. But, I got her right when I started a temporary manager position while also being full time in high school. Long story short, she didn’t get socialized and desensitized properly cause I wasn’t hanging out with her every day. So, even today as I’m still working with her daily, she’s a more reserved and “grumpy” diva. It fits her name great lol. Sorry that just seemed to go on a tangent lol
My point- the time isn’t as important as the consistency. Just make sure you’re getting them out every day. It doesn’t have to be for hours at a time every day but rather as long as you can. With Christina, I usually only get her out when she wakes up herself- if she’s wheeling, eating, running around, anything like that. I try to let her have her time when she’s sleeping.
I hope this helps 🙂 I probably went off topic I’m sorry
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

@Ria

My boy does the same! Well, the part where if you miss a day, then there's trouble. When my cousin comes over to visit, I'll sometimes have to go sleep over at her dad's place, then I'm not there for the night with Igor. The next morning when I return, goodness, lord have mercy. He's a devil. He'll bite more than usual, he'll huff, puff, click and spike up. Its like he's telling me he's angry at me for leaving him.

I guess he didn't have human contact as a hoglet either since he's agro. I should've called him Agro instead of Igor. 😂
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have a very odd sleep schedule, so I am usually up late at night. I usually take Bella out around 11-12ish and have her out for an hour. Most of the time she just burrows around in my bed or uses my pillows as an obstacle course. On occasion I’ll set up an obstacle course of toys and what not and let her explore that.
Bella.hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ria

Haha Igor really is funny. When I miss a day I bring food for her to make her happy with me again maybe you should try that with him
Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

He takes the food in an angry matter too! He'll huff, click and snatch the food from my hand, turn around, showing me his butt, and then eat the food 😂
Old 04-21-2019, 03:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ria

That sounds like a typically hedgehog 😂 holly snatches it angry but doesnt bother turning around
Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

😂😂😂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in