New hedgehog - named Linus possibly? 1st night.. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb New hedgehog - named Linus possibly? 1st night..

So, I hope nobody minds that I post this. I've used this forum quite a bit in researching hedgehogs so it's kind of a thank-you to everyone who has posted on here with information! : )
As well as a thank-you it's also kind of for new hedgehog owners - not that I'm experienced enough to be giving advice, but this is just my experience of what I did and the first night my little guy was home. Might be helpful for some people, who knows!

I brought my hedgehog boy home last night around 5pm. I used a home-made purse type of carrier to bring him home, it's courderoy and we put some hand warmers and a blanket in there for him (I live in Ontario and yesterday was about.. 9 degrees celcius outside) and he seemed to love it. I held the bottom of the bag in my hand (as well as the hedgehog) during the drive so it wouldn't be overly bumpy for him. I spoke in a quiet, calm voice to let him know we were just driving and would be home soon (I've always been fairly weird about talking to my animals, suppose that's what happens when you've had them all your life..). Got him inside and plugged in my space heater right away (I kept him in the purse for awhile to adjust before taking him out). I've been fairly OCD about the temperature in my room since I only have a space heater at the moment (which I'm sure some of you know, if you're living in the same room as the hedgehog, generally not the best heating method! I'm someone who actually prefers sweater weather but I suppose the time for that is over :P) and checking the temperature about every 5 minutes or so from my reader to ensure that it stayed between 72 degrees and 77 degrees (I did this because the breeders house we visited wasn't overly warm and he seems to be just fine in 73 degree weather, which is another plus - I'll be monitoring this for the next few days of course)..

I was really hoping that he wouldn't take too long to adjust - mainly because I want him to feel comfortable. He was super friendly at the breeders and when I got him home, he actually wasn't overly shy. I'm pretty proud of the little guy. I watched a movie and he sat with me (and on my shoulder for awhile) which made me quite happy, as I'm assuming this means that he's at least somewhat comfortable.
I turned my TV off around 11:00pm and about 45 minutes afterwards, he came out of his hat and started exploring his cage. And then I heard some crunching, looked over and he had started to eat. I was so freaking happy it wasn't even funny - I know they can take a day or two to adjust and begin to eat, but again, SO happy he's adjusting more quickly than I had expected! That's always a good thing..

Anyways - naming him Linus possibly because he seems to have an obsession with Blankets. I don't feel I can name him yet though since I've only had him for about a day.

He's 9.5 - 10 weeks right now.. : )
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgehog - named Linus possibly? 1st night..

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnfaith
So, I hope nobody minds that I post this. I've used this forum quite a bit in researching hedgehogs so it's kind of a thank-you to everyone who has posted on here with information! : )
As well as a thank-you it's also kind of for new hedgehog owners - not that I'm experienced enough to be giving advice, but this is just my experience of what I did and the first night my little guy was home. Might be helpful for some people, who knows!

I brought my hedgehog boy home last night around 5pm. I used a home-made purse type of carrier to bring him home, it's courderoy and we put some hand warmers and a blanket in there for him (I live in Ontario and yesterday was about.. 9 degrees celcius outside) and he seemed to love it. I held the bottom of the bag in my hand (as well as the hedgehog) during the drive so it wouldn't be overly bumpy for him. I spoke in a quiet, calm voice to let him know we were just driving and would be home soon (I've always been fairly weird about talking to my animals, suppose that's what happens when you've had them all your life..). Got him inside and plugged in my space heater right away (I kept him in the purse for awhile to adjust before taking him out). I've been fairly OCD about the temperature in my room since I only have a space heater at the moment (which I'm sure some of you know, if you're living in the same room as the hedgehog, generally not the best heating method! I'm someone who actually prefers sweater weather but I suppose the time for that is over :P) and checking the temperature about every 5 minutes or so from my reader to ensure that it stayed between 72 degrees and 77 degrees (I did this because the breeders house we visited wasn't overly warm and he seems to be just fine in 73 degree weather, which is another plus - I'll be monitoring this for the next few days of course)..

I was really hoping that he wouldn't take too long to adjust - mainly because I want him to feel comfortable. He was super friendly at the breeders and when I got him home, he actually wasn't overly shy. I'm pretty proud of the little guy. I watched a movie and he sat with me (and on my shoulder for awhile) which made me quite happy, as I'm assuming this means that he's at least somewhat comfortable.
I turned my TV off around 11:00pm and about 45 minutes afterwards, he came out of his hat and started exploring his cage. And then I heard some crunching, looked over and he had started to eat. I was so freaking happy it wasn't even funny - I know they can take a day or two to adjust and begin to eat, but again, SO happy he's adjusting more quickly than I had expected! That's always a good thing..

Anyways - naming him Linus possibly because he seems to have an obsession with Blankets. I don't feel I can name him yet though since I've only had him for about a day.

He's 9.5 - 10 weeks right now.. : )

Aw! He seems like such a cutie pie! If you have any questions, ask away... We won't bite Please post pictures if you can, we looooove ogling over them
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

How are things going now that it has been a couple of days?
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I really liked the way to carried him home Im in ontario as well and its getting really chilly ( i also am 2 minutes from the lake so extra breeze). Post pictures soon!

AnnabellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in