Travelling... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Travelling...

Hello,

I'm planning a 2 weeks trip outside the country. But, i'm VERY worried about my 8 months old hedge. I take her out of the cage everyday, cuddle, feed with larvae etc.
I've built her a good cage(thanks everyone here that helped me) with almost 6 square feet(43.30 x 19.68 inches of floor). I got a person that could come here everyday and change the water, food and clean the cage for me.
But, anyway, i got worried. Would she suffer with 2 weeks out of the cage? The person would come during the day and won't be able(and won't have courage and skill) to play with her.
Viridis Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Travelling...

I have the same problem.. In December, I'm going to Florida for a week and the person who's going to feed my hedgie probably won't have the skill to take her out. I think your hedgehog will be ok for two weeks without handling as long as he/she has a wheel and you take her out when you get home.
ilovemyedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Same problem for me too, I'm going to Florida in January or February but don't know what the sitter will do, maybe have the sitter get socialized with the hog before you leave and ask them to live in your house while your gone?

[/url

Dallas Came Home April 21st 2012
Shade and Oliver came Home September 9th 2012

http://spiritwolves1.deviantart.com/
SpiritWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

So, we're all togheter in this boat, hopefully another members have some experience to share. In my case, the person will be the house maid. She will only be here during the day time, so, she won't be able to play with the hedge. To be honest i do not trust her to take care of my pet, she is curious and maybe will try to harass(in her view: "play with") the hedge during day time. I'm thinking about buying a camera to acompany the pet from distance. Just in case...
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

that would be a smart idea, maybe ill do that too ^.^

[/url

Dallas Came Home April 21st 2012
Shade and Oliver came Home September 9th 2012

http://spiritwolves1.deviantart.com/
SpiritWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

For all of you, would you be able and willing to invite the hedgie sitter over beforehand and introduce them to your hedgie? It's really not a huge deal if they won't play with or handle your hedgehog for a long amount of time every night. Your hedgie might be a little huffier for awhile when you get back, but it's not going to cause lasting damage or make your hedgie suffer, I promise! The biggest concern as far as handling is, you want them to be able to at least verify that your hedgie is doing well and didn't hurt themselves or have any problems the night before - if they're willing to handle just for a few minutes to count legs, toes, and check them over by sight quickly for any cuts, etc., that'll be perfectly fine. The best way to do that is to introduce everyone before you leave, and show them how you get your hedgie out. They can use a fleece blanket or t-shirt to pick your hedgie up, that might make everyone more comfortable. You could also get them some winter gloves (all fabric, not with the plastic bits they sometimes have on the hands) and you could sleep with them for a few nights. THen leave the gloves so they can use them to handle your hedgie. They'd be soft, smell like you, and keep everyone safe.

Be certain that you're clear about what you expect them to do - make sure they know they don't have to play with the hedgie, keep them out, etc. Just see if they're willing to take them out and check them over really quick, then put them right back down in their cage. When I left Lily with my aunt, she was also afraid to handle her, so I just had her take the lid off her two-piece igloo to look her over and make sure she was awake and warm (not hibernating), and we called it good. Lily did perfectly fine with it and everyone was happy!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you Kelsey, you're my hedge's guardian angel heheh always helping her.
I was worried and even tought about not travelling. But now i'm more relaxed about it, i'll train the person to look after my hedge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in