Help! I just got my Hedgie!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is my very first hedgie. Rosie seemed like a good animal when she was at the person’s house. She is 2 and not very friendly right now. She’s terrified of loud noises. I can’t pick her up at all. Every time I try, she jumps up and starts hissing. I want to pet her and take her out, but I’m scared. I’m not sure how to hold her or get to stop being scared. This is my first full day having her. Please help!
lm1110450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi! I'm no expert, but I've had my hedgehog for 3 years, and I can give you some tips that have helped me with raising my hedgehog, and will hopefully help you out too Hedgehogs take a while to get used to their new surroundings, since they're naturally scared of everything. I know how it feels to want to pet and cuddle with your hedgehog, but bonding with them takes a while. It's best to leave Rosie alone for a while so that she can get used to her new surroundings. Place her cage in a quiet area of your house. I would suggest leaving an old shirt or towel that has your natural scent (not perfumes, lotions or detergents that you use) in her cage so that she can get used to your smell. Also! If you want to hold her, you can use a towel to help with taking her out of the cage Let her explore her surroundings while she's out
msh34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

It can take many months for a hedgehog to adjust to a new home. Just think how you would feel if suddenly this large creature took you from the only home and only people you've known for most of your life and put you in a different home with strange people around. The poor thing is confused and terrified.

Take her out every day for at least 30 minutes of bonding time. It's easier if you use a small fleece blanket to take her out until you get used to her quills. Towels aren't recommended because their nails can get caught in the small loops. Keep the blanket over her to help her feel safe while you have her out. Just let her hang out on your lap or beside you while you watch tv or read.

Put an old tshirt in her cage that you have worn recently, just make sure it doesn't have any loose threads that can get wrap around her legs. Don't use a towel because of the loops.

You need to have a lot of patience with her, it can take 6 months or more for her to adjust.
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in