girlfriend terrified of hedgie poop - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillybean
Default Re: girlfriend terrified of hedgie poop

After having a human baby poop bothers me even less..Yeah, bad case of running poops from shots after he was younger, got it all in my hair at 3:00am after a 24hrs of being up..Thought he was done. Horrible cases of leaky diapers at target...Yeah, human baby poop gets everywhere!!! I will TAKE animal poo any day of week over my sons.

But have her wear scrubs, not her normal cloths, and try using more hand sanitizer, more hand washings, and even disinfecting wipes. Seems to help with my spouse and he is a guy..Poo of any kind freaks him out. lol! He yells "OMG, it is pooping! Here, Hilary hurry take it!" He just about drops them, and normally lays them on floor quickly..poor hedgies. Does our son the same way.

Getting them up and active before he handles them, and foot baths before help with the poop situation..but they still poop. At least he gets a couple of minutes handling them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Actually, it's not such a bad idea to only let her hold the hedgie AFTER it has already emptied it's bowels in a foot bath or something.

When Poggles was little, he was a poop machine and I didn't like his poop either. It grosses me out. I think it's dirty, full of bacteria, smells bad, looks gross, etc. I think it took a lot of time before I was used to at least seeing it happen. I still don't like touching the poop or getting pooped on. I will literally wash like crazy if it happens.

Anyways, it helps that I love Poggles like crazy. Otherwise, it's just poop and I want nothing to do with poop. So maybe your girlfriend will feel less scared of the poop once she starts to really love your hedgies and has some time to slowly warm up to the "down-side" of pets I don't think an "irrational phobia" is really that easy to get over. It will take a lot of time and lots of positive experiences related to the pooping.

In some ways, it might be like taming one of those super-hard-to-tame hedgies. You can't just force them to unball and like their surroundings. It takes a lot of patience... and motivation (like mealies!). Maybe if you seemed really impressed every time she got pooped on and handled it well, she would get better and better at it. Even if she doesn't handle it well, reward her for going through the experience.

Good luck!

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

My girlfriend was also afraid of the poop of every animal. She ended up falling in love with my reptiles, though, so she's over their pooping. She doesn't like my hedgehogs at the moment, but I think she will come to like them. She's already warming up a bit to them. Same with the pooping problem though - deathly afraid of it.

I'm not really sure who decided that most girls should be pansies about poop. I'm a girl and I have never had any such fear - probably because I grew up shoveling barn & dog poop and breeding cockatiels. Birds drop gunk all over the place. It's really an exposure thing. I find most people who haven't had a lot of exposure to pets or haven't been responsible for the care of pets exclusively really have issues with them being "unclean" or too "poopy". It's something that is their problem, and shouldn't make you love your animal any less. Either they get over it or they're pretty silly. Just give it time - I'm sure my own girlfriend will love my hedgies soon too.
eskye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskye
My girlfriend was also afraid of the poop of every animal. She ended up falling in love with my reptiles, though, so she's over their pooping. She doesn't like my hedgehogs at the moment, but I think she will come to like them. She's already warming up a bit to them. Same with the pooping problem though - deathly afraid of it.

I'm not really sure who decided that most girls should be pansies about poop. I'm a girl and I have never had any such fear - probably because I grew up shoveling barn & dog poop and breeding cockatiels. Birds drop gunk all over the place. It's really an exposure thing. I find most people who haven't had a lot of exposure to pets or haven't been responsible for the care of pets exclusively really have issues with them being "unclean" or too "poopy". It's something that is their problem, and shouldn't make you love your animal any less. Either they get over it or they're pretty silly. Just give it time - I'm sure my own girlfriend will love my hedgies soon too.
I think it maybe has a lot to do with how people were raised. Like, growing up my dad mostly picked up the dog poop and stuff, so I'm sort of at a point where I think it's gross but I'll happily put up with having to deal with it for an animal that I love. I don't think it's always like that, but it seems like most girls I know who are very grossed out by that stuff either didn't have pets when they were growing up or just didn't have to deal with it that much.
Also, I used to take horseback riding lessons for several years, so I got used to that pretty fast. Though, in my opinion horse poop isn't as bad as dog poop.

cardiologineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: girlfriend terrified of hedgie poop

If you got it to ball up it's just pooping/peeing on itself!
PickyRemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rescue

I weny with the "sit down and spend time with pokey. I dont want to hear it" method. Worked well
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #27 (permalink)

Give her some opportunities to play with your hog on the floor where poop won't be an option. My fianc้ hates the poop too but has fallen in love with Ruby so he deals with the poop. If your girl starts to love your hedgehog I'm sure the poop hating will take a backseat.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

I hate getting the poop on me. xD I'm not afraid of it but Sputniks poops smell like death so i usually have fleece under his butt when I hold him. :P

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

I do the fleece too. Even a fleece blanket goes on my bed b4 Mimzy goes down. Fleece is easier to clean than my quilts and bedspread cover.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rescue

i made her clean the cat's litter box and play with pokey...making progress!
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in