Strange behavior - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange behavior

I got my hedgehog Maggie about 3 weeks ago. I brought her home and she was fine. She was scared but I held her for 30 minutes - 1 hour every day. She was fine. She would run around and act like a normal hedgehog that has just been brought home. I am a first time hedgie owner and I went to Hawaii for a week. My girlfriend offered to take care of her so she stayed there while I was gone. I made sure she knew to hold her for a certain amount of time each day and she said she did and all went well. But when I got home and brought her back she seemed to be very scared of me and breathes heavily and jumps at me when I get anywhere near here. I'll pick her up with bedding and then within minutes she's fine. I was wondering if there was a reason she jumps and breathes like that. Is is because she hasn't seen me in a while or is something wrong with her? Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
Maggiethehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Strange behavior

That jumping and breathing is just her being unsure of you. The breathing is called huffing it's a defensive thing. I'm sure she'll warm back up to you in time. Just keep picking her up and bonding with her even if she huffs at you. The more you hold her the more she should warm up to you. Good luck and remember to be patient with her, she probably just forgot who you are. I would like to add that I'm no expert to the hedgie arts. So, if any more skilled owners have anything to add or correct I'd be thrilled to her it!

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Strange behavior

Also, if you bought her as a baby, then she should be close to her quilling time. Some hedgies can be extra grumpy during quilling(imagine having that many quills forcing their way through your skin), while some may be fine with it. And sometimes, their personalities can change after quilling as well, so don't be too alarmed if you see more behavioural changes, like being grumpier, maybe a bit more defensive.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in