Mental Short-Circuit - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mental Short-Circuit

Most nights, Norman is his usual calm, cuddly self. Every now-and-then, however, his little hedgie brain seems to short-circuit and he goes completely nutty. Touching him results in him jumping, occasionally spinning around, huffing, and finally ends with a "grr, don't touch me!" glare. The back of my hands also seem to become the tastiest things in the world. If he catches a whiff of them, he'll dart out from wherever he is hiding and feverishly lick and nibble the back of my hand until he either spazzes out again or I move my hand (also resulting in him spazzing out). He's still perfectly content to snuggle on my chest while covered in one of his shirts, but touching him results in the whole freak out routine again. I haven't kept track of how often this happens but it's pretty rare; once every 4 or 5 months if I were to guess. It only ever lasts one night. The next night he's back to his old self. He's warm, well fed and watered, has his wheel that he religiously uses, all of the snuggle time he wants, in perfect health according to the vet, etc. No change to hand or laundry soap or light schedule. Nothing else unusual. I'm not worried since this isn't unheard of for him, just amused and somewhat baffled by the why of it all. Has anyone else seen this with their little monsters?
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Mental Short-Circuit

Squiggy has a bit of that some nights. Hes very set in his routine, hes healthy, gets lots of cuddles, loves his wheel, and still has tons of hedgie-tude. But he does sometimes space out randomly, or there have been times where I'll watch him wheel and he will just plop down on his belly and lay there swinging. He will lay there a good 5 min just staring off into the blue until something interrupts his mental tirade. This happens maybe every few weeks or so. On these nights he will also throw a mini riot while I'm asleep and trash his cage. I think he does it just to keep me on my toes

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bah. Put this in the Housing & Accessories forum instead of the Personality and Behavior forum :P
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Every once in a while, Pepper will "wig out" on us. I have no idea what it's all about. I think she just has to use the restroom.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Satin would have her huffy nights too... for no reason that I could figure out.

As long as it didn't continue over a long time and nothing else seemed wrong, I figured this: if I can have a huffy (bad) day for reasons a hedgie cannot discern, it only makes sense that hedgie can have one too.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Do you have a special-occasions-only perfume or beauty product? Or maybe just something you put on your skin every so often? I wonder if his freak-outs coincide with your using it? The nibbling on your hands is what made me think of it. It could also be nail polish related. Vlad's never as happy to see me one the rare occasion that I've done my nails or I've got on the expensive date night perfume. (Luckily, he's not a bitey one though.)
LaurenR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in