New hedgie sleeping question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie sleeping question

So I picked up my little guy yesterday and got him home around 6 PM. I put him in his cage and left him to have alone time and to get adjusted to everything. He immediately went into the sleeve of the shirt I put in the cage (So he can get better accustomed to my smell). As of this morning, he has only turned around and moved like 6 inches. As far as I can tell his neither his food or water has been touched. Should I be worried or does it normally take them a couple of days to start adjusting better?
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie sleeping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybravo60025
So I picked up my little guy yesterday and got him home around 6 PM. I put him in his cage and left him to have alone time and to get adjusted to everything. He immediately went into the sleeve of the shirt I put in the cage (So he can get better accustomed to my smell). As of this morning, he has only turned around and moved like 6 inches. As far as I can tell his neither his food or water has been touched. Should I be worried or does it normally take them a couple of days to start adjusting better?
It's been less than 24 hours. Give him a little time to get used to everything. Did you get him from a reputable source? As long as he was healthy when you got him, it's no big deal if he skips eating and drinking for one night while he's adjusting.
NoBeardPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, she's a USDA approved breeder and is also a vet, so I would say she's pretty good. I actually just got him up and now he's walking around, exploring, and eating and drinking. I guess it was just a bit of new owner jitters on my part!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I remember those jitters... especially when the breeder didn't tell me what food my little guy was on (and wouldn't respond to emails) so his tummy had adjusting to the food difference.

He probably was just POOPED! I swear there are some days when my hedgie comes out for just a little bit and decides they don't like the day and go back to sleep. I'm glad he's warming up to you. Keep us posted if anything changes

sweettea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

So now when he sleeps, it's only under the litter bin that came with the CSW. He'll either be under the paper towels that are in there (and covered in his poop ) or under the bin. He won't go anywhere near the igloo. It seems as if he runs on his wheel, gets too tired, and then just sleeps under the closest thing. Is there anyway I can try to get him in his igloo? Also, for spacial reasons, his current setup is an "L" shape and the igloo is on the other side of the L from his wheel and that's the only way I can have it for now.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
So now when he sleeps, it's only under the litter bin that came with the CSW. He'll either be under the paper towels that are in there (and covered in his poop ) or under the bin. He won't go anywhere near the igloo. It seems as if he runs on his wheel, gets too tired, and then just sleeps under the closest thing. Is there anyway I can try to get him in his igloo? Also, for spacial reasons, his current setup is an "L" shape and the igloo is on the other side of the L from his wheel and that's the only way I can have it for now.
It can be hard to figure out what's going on in your hog's spiky little head. I would assume that there's something about the igloo that he dislikes, or something about the litter bin that he does like. Keep fiddling with things and try to figure out what that something is, and how you can address it. Off the top of my head, I'd say it sounds like he might want to be able to burrow a bit when he's getting ready for bed. Is the igloo empty inside? Try putting a bunch of bedding or fleece strips in the igloo, so that he can dig his way in a bit.

If that doesn't work, keep thinking about it and see if you can come up with another idea. It takes a bit of work to figure out what they are thinking, sometimes. Once you do, though, you'll find that hedgehogs are actually pretty sensible creatures.
NoBeardPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBeardPete
Quote:
It can be hard to figure out what's going on in your hog's spiky little head. I would assume that there's something about the igloo that he dislikes, or something about the litter bin that he does like. Keep fiddling with things and try to figure out what that something is, and how you can address it. Off the top of my head, I'd say it sounds like he might want to be able to burrow a bit when he's getting ready for bed. Is the igloo empty inside? Try putting a bunch of bedding or fleece strips in the igloo, so that he can dig his way in a bit.

If that doesn't work, keep thinking about it and see if you can come up with another idea. It takes a bit of work to figure out what they are thinking, sometimes. Once you do, though, you'll find that hedgehogs are actually pretty sensible creatures.
Yeah, it's had fleece strips in there since day one. I don't get it, he seems to be a little weirdo
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

My hog refuses to sleep in her igloo if I don't put something over the top of it to block out the light. I just lay a big piece of fleece over the entire thing so it drapes down over the entrance. Just a suggestion

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in