Now for random questions out of curiosity - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Now for random questions out of curiosity

Now that I'm not freaking out about Diggy's health I've thought of some other random questions while playing with him.

1)Do hedgies like their quills pet? I wouldn't think so but I see a lot of people do it and I can't tell if Diggory is enjoying it when I do it or just sitting still and waiting for it to be over haha.

2) This one will be hard to explain. When Diggory is falling asleep in my hands, or at least getting comfortable, he always does this weird vibrating thing. It's not him scratching or chewing on his feet. His body is completely still except for his back. It twitches over and over again, like a horse trying to get a fly off itself. He eventually stops and then is alseep. What is this? Do any of your hedgies do it?

3) I was sure I had a third...but now I can't remember. I will post it in this thread if it comes to me.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Now for random questions out of curiosity

1) Some seem to like it. If they are comfortable and their quills are laid back, you can slowly bring your hand in front of their face so they aren't startled, then gently stroke their back. Petunia likes having my hand lightly rest on her back; I think she likes the heat it gives off. She'll doze right off.

2) Lots of young hedgies do this. Some grow out of it. From what I gather on these forums, it appears to be equivalent to a dog turning in circles before laying down to sleep. I think it means they are getting comfortable. Petunia does it all the time when we're snuggling.

3)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Your baby will be quilling again soon, so be sure not to try to pet him during this time. Their quills and skin is so sensitive and irritated at this time, the last thing you want to do it to cause Diggy pain or discomfort

Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

My girl loves her quills to be pet! That's the one sure way to calm her down or keep her still. She just splats right away and stays there until you stop
She does the little back shake thing too. It freaked me out at first, but I realized that whenever I move her to check on her, she huffs at me and goes right back to doing it, so it probably was something intentional
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah it scared me when Diggory did it at first too

And oh yeah..quilling. He's doing that now lol and I pet his quills gently tonight. It didn't seem to bother him but I dunno. I won't do it anymore

Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

1. Nuala doesn't seem to mind having her quills pet. She'll continue to sleep when I do it

2. So glad u asked this, cuz I always wondered what that was. I figured it was fine cuz she never seemed to b in any pain.

nualasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I pet Quilliam's quills (lol) all the time. He also loves his snout/forehead to be "scratched" gently back and forth with my finger not my nail. I sometimes take a finger up through his visor quills where they part in the middle and down his spine. He especially lets me experiment with him when I feed him a chunky mealworm
Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I find petting Kashi's quills when he has them raised seems to calm him down (they go down, and once I work my way to the visor quills, his eyes are closing lol), so I think they do like being pet He also enjoys it when I pet him from the top of his nose to his visor quills He doesn't like the skirt of his quills being touched though...

The vibrating thing is perfectly normal for young hedgehogs ^_^
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
He doesn't like the skirt of his quills being touched though...
Neither does Petunia. I'm convinced it's because she's ticklish
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I thought of the third question!

3) I hold Diggory in just my bare hands all the time, but that's once he's been out playing. For the life of me, I cannot pick him up out of his cage without him popping at me. My bofriend was able to do it once but he doesn't jump so much when Diggory pops at him lol. Is me using a blanket going to hurt the socializing process? Is a big blanket coming at him too scary for him? He unballs within 3-5 minutes after I put him down and then he's fine the rest of the evening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in