Age? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Age?

Alrighty... I bought a hedgehog from a pet store (I know, I know, but I live in Vermont so I had NO options at the time...), and they had no idea what age he was. They just said "Well they have to be a month old to get them away from their parents.", So for a while I was thinking he was around two months old. But, I have no idea if he's quilling and I haven't seen him annoint ONCE. By the age I assumed that he was, he would be quilling, right? Is there any way to tell what age they are?
Caffesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Age?

None that I know of. When I asked my vet if there was any way to tell the age he said no.
And babies go home later than a month, I think around 7 weeks.
Congrats on your new addition though!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awww... That's too bad. Maybe the next time I go to the store to get food I'll ask of his origins and do some digging!

Nice name for a hedgehog by the way! Is it Quinn like 'Harley Quinn'? Haha! Nevermind me...

Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks! I also got Quinn from a pet store and they told me she was a boy, but they were wrong (like so many other things lol). So I named her after a character in the Sookie Stackhouse novels (true blood) who was a guy. They also didnt know her age but she went through a quilling time so I guesstimated. Maybe yours will do the same.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

6 weeks is the earliest that a good breeder will let their babies go home, but unfortunately pet stores (and the suppliers of pet stores, which are frequently "puppy mill" in style to some degree or another) don't go by this. As far as I know there's no way to tell; size and weight can help with an estimate, but hedgehogs even as babies will vary so much that it wouldn't be able to help as more than a general guideline. I know my breeder, who generally sends them home at 6-7 weeks, won't do so until they get to 125g, so maybe that's kind of at the low end for 6 weeks? Archimedes was 157 when he was weighed the day we went to pick him up (6 weeks 2 days). But yeah, just from looking (with the exception of very young ones, I'd imagine), and even with knowing the weight, an age estimate would be hard. This is even more true as they get bigger and their growth slows down.

As for quilling, it's not always easy to tell that it's happening just from looking. When Ares came home, it was fairly clear because his baby quills were small and sparse enough that the new quills (the very tips, at that point) coming in were visible between them. Right now I know he's still quilling because I've been watching it progress, but he has many more quills and they're very dense now, so it's really hard to see between them. Mostly I can recognize the new ones by color (his are all white, he's turned into a snowflake) and if I look closely I can see that they're embedded into his skin at a wider area on the quill, rather than the tip. Quills that are all the way grown in will be attached at the very tip to the skin, which is what allows them to go in all different angles when the hedgehog curls or prickles. When they're still growing in (embedded like I described) they'll stay pretty much flat because they can't go in different directions like that. So those are some things to maybe look for, in addition to excessive shed quills laying around, and of course the grumpiness. Also, if you notice a change in color, that's a good indication (though it won't happen to all hedgehogs). The main quilling that determines color is the week-9 quilling, though Archimedes is not quite 8 weeks and he started changing color around when he hit 7 weeks - so really the weeks when quilling is said to occur is just a guideline.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh my goodness!! I live in Vermont as well- Actually got mine from a breeder in St. Johnsbury. I am in Burlington so I am almost 2 hours from there. Would you like to exchange contact info and if we ever want to "hogsit" or whatever for each other we can?

Edit: I see you're in Newport, which is actually close to St. j! Hahah... guess hedgies are popular up there... Maybe I can give you my breeders contact info if you want another hedgie person to talk to?
whispy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

The pet store didn't know how old Amelia was, but when we went to the vet, she still didn't have teeth, and they said she was about 4 weeks by her teeth.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispy1990
oh my goodness!! I live in Vermont as well- Actually got mine from a breeder in St. Johnsbury. I am in Burlington so I am almost 2 hours from there. Would you like to exchange contact info and if we ever want to "hogsit" or whatever for each other we can?

Edit: I see you're in Newport, which is actually close to St. j! Hahah... guess hedgies are popular up there... Maybe I can give you my breeders contact info if you want another hedgie person to talk to?
X3 nice to know I'm not alone up here! I'd love it if we could hogsit! Although, at the present, you may want to give me a month or two before you trust me with your hedgie... I'm really really new to all this

But, I'd love to have a sitter... I'm really uncomfortable leaving Watson with my dad for more than a night or two, and he's probably the most capable of all my family, even though he keeps trying to feed him dog food, raisins and cheese -_-

By the by, yes I would love your breeder's info

Shall I PM you the things?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in