Did I do something wrong? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I do something wrong?

Hello! My hedgehog, Armani, has been in my life around 6-8 months. He was always very friendly. Besides a few huffs and puffs when I would first stick my hand in the cage. But a few hours ago he scared me half to death. I was sitting on the couch and he was on my lap under a blanket all nice and cuddled up. He started to huff and puff a whole bunch and he kept running around and wouldn't even let me pick him up! He was jolting, shaking his quills, scratching, the whole time he just kept running around. I finally stopped trying to pick him up and he just sat on the couch, not curled up or anything. my first thought was maybe something was irritating his skin so I thought mites? Well I took a black cloth rubbed it over him and nothing... I let him sleep in his igloo after to see maybe he was just fussy? But now I am cleaning his cage and he is huffing and puffing and jolting and everything all over again. I don't know if I did something and he doesn't trust me or if he's in pain... I don't know I need some help... Thank you!!!
Xoxolela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most of the time you won't be able to see mites. I'd go ahead and go to the vet and get some revolution. In the mean time a bath might help give him some relief.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man oh man ?? Okay thank you!

Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would definitely have a vet check, and also go over him with a fine tooth comb, to make sure he wasn't bitten, stung, poked, or injured by something.

The reaction you've described sounds more like a response to an acute event, like the way we react to touching a hot stove or getting stung by a bee - jumping around, swearing about it, while trying to get rid of the sting.

With mites, fleas, and most other external parasites, there's typically a build-up period. It starts with a little itch here, a scratch there, some head and body shaking, and mild symptoms like that. If you don't recognize the mild symptoms and attend to the problem, you'll start seeing more fervent licking, chewing, scratching, minor skin lesions, some hair/quill loss. If you still don't treat it, it'll eventually work it's way up to the type of frantic behavior you've described, along with scratching, rubbing against things, chewing, biting, patches of bloody hair/quill loss, skin thickening, and secondary skin injuries and infections.

With animals that live in contained bedding, the timeframe from mild to serious symptoms is shorter than you'd see with a dog or cat, but it's still that's not something that would happen as suddenly as napping one moment and frantic the next.
GsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsMom View Post
I would definitely have a vet check, and also go over him with a fine tooth comb, to make sure he wasn't bitten, stung, poked, or injured by something.

The reaction you've described sounds more like a response to an acute event, like the way we react to touching a hot stove or getting stung by a bee - jumping around, swearing about it, while trying to get rid of the sting.

With mites, fleas, and most other external parasites, there's typically a build-up period. It starts with a little itch here, a scratch there, some head and body shaking, and mild symptoms like that. If you don't recognize the mild symptoms and attend to the problem, you'll start seeing more fervent licking, chewing, scratching, minor skin lesions, some hair/quill loss. If you still don't treat it, it'll eventually work it's way up to the type of frantic behavior you've described, along with scratching, rubbing against things, chewing, biting, patches of bloody hair/quill loss, skin thickening, and secondary skin injuries and infections.

With animals that live in contained bedding, the timeframe from mild to serious symptoms is shorter than you'd see with a dog or cat, but it's still that's not something that would happen as suddenly as napping one moment and frantic the next.
Thank you very much. I am going to be taking him in this weekend because I'm nervous about it. He hasn't had any quill lose and thankfully no bloody patches. I do work at a local pet store so I'm scared I brought something home with me on accident and passed it to him. I will let you guys know what the vet says!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Check to make sure he doesn't have a quill poking him somewhere, sometimes they poke themselves and some hedgehogs have even poked holes in their ears from their quills.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Check to make sure he doesn't have a quill poking him somewhere, sometimes they poke themselves and some hedgehogs have even poked holes in their ears from their quills.
I'm currently sitting in the vets office

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in