Humidity Percentage for Hedgehogs - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Humidity Percentage for Hedgehogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
While high humidity is great for skin and humid air always feel warmer, anything over I believe it's 40% encourages mold growth and mold is not healthy. If you do have a humid environment, it means more frequent cage cleaning as well as monitoring windows, outside walls and corners for signs of mold.
I was going to comment on this, too, Nancy.

Keep in mind that while the humidifier may help the hedgies (which is wonderful!), they can be harmful to you. I have allergies and am not able to use a humidifier due to the mold and bacteria that humidifiers blow out when not washed properly and daily (which I'm assuming can be harmful to anyone, even people without allergies).

In general, humidifiers aren't really recommended by doctors as they are more likely to hurt your health than to help it, but I think if you make sure to clean the water reservoir with bleach water every day, you won't have to worry about the mold & bacteria.

Sorry to ramble on My mom has COPD and I have always had asthma, allergies and sinus problems, so I have learned a lot about how changes in the average household's air can improve, worsen or cause respiratory issues.

Keep us updated!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Breeders

The late,great and missed Hedgemom made this reply to me about humidity levels in a post.

Re: Humidity Question
by HedgeMom on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:09 am

If you're running an a/c, you are dehumidifying. Optimal indoor humidity is between 40 and 50%. Once humidity hits 50% and over, the temperature starts feeling warmer than it really is.

When your indoor temps hit 80 and your humidity is 75%, the temperature feels like 84 and it makes it harder for your body (or the hedgehog's body) to cool through evaporation. Here's a heat index chart: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/index.shtml

In the winter, increasing humidity is an effective way of making a room feel warmer. Dry air is cooler than moist air.

And anything lower than 40 can cause dry skin and itchiness.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a fish tank in my house so the huminity is at a pretty good level and sometimes we have the huminity going over 60%, which we can't have that because of the fear of getting mold. What I do is I put VERY dry sponges with a little salt on it and it absorbs some of the water in thair and it puts the persentages down. You change it when the salt is all wet or when it is disolved. It takes weeks or even months to absorb a lot of moisture.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

what about natural humidity? I live in florida by the water and its always like at the least 30% humidity inside but if i take them for a walk could it bother them? the average humidity is anywhere from 77%-45% daily
Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooki3
what about natural humidity? I live in florida by the water and its always like at the least 30% humidity inside but if i take them for a walk could it bother them? the average humidity is anywhere from 77%-45% daily
I'm in Louisiana and our climate is similar. I have never noticed bad side effects, only good ones. I have seen other peoples houses have problem with mold if they have too much furniture and such in the house because it inhibits good air flow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in