Cage transition concern - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By Slava

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Cage transition concern

I changed the cage for my hedgehog to a 2x4 C&C cage and the past 2 nights he barely came out. He woke around 9pm, ran around till about 12-1 and went in his house where he remained until the morning. I know because i left 2 mealies and he didn't eat them.

I used to take him out to his playpen every night, which was bigger than his current cage. But now because his cage is big enough to run in, I haven't been taking him out to the playpen for 2 nights.

Now that I just wrote it out I realized I changed 2 major things: stopped taking him out to the playpen and changed his housing. He is probably like "where am I??"

Should I continue to take him out to the playpen at least for now? That was kind of the whole point of making a bigger cage, so I could leave him be and not worry cuz I had to be home by 9 to take him out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is his cage staying the same temperature that he's used to? Bigger cages can be harder to maintain temperature for, and if it's a bit cooler than he's used to, he might be staying in his cozy bed instead of moving around.

Are you still getting him out for bonding time & just not putting him in the playpen? Or not able to get him out at all? Some people find that if they don't get their hedgie out, sometimes they won't be as active or go about things as usual. So it might be due to routine being disrupted.

Otherwise, it might just be that he's getting used to the new place. With such a big space to move around in, he may feel intimidated or exposed. What do you have in the new cage? Sometimes filling it up with more hides & objects can help make them feel a bit safer, that they have things nearby to hide behind or near if they get startled by something. Another option is moving all of his typical cage furniture to one side of the cage, so things are closer together. Then you can slowly move things further apart to help him get used to moving around in the bigger space.
Slava likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you for replying. The room is heated with a space heater and I got a herpstat with 2 che connected so the temperature concern is taken seriously around here

In his cage he's got the same toys as in the playpen, he's got about 5 hiding spots in total but he prefers under the fleece

I realized the transition was way too sudden. Yesterday was his 3rd day in the new cage and I woke him up at usual time, bonded, let him out in the playpen. After I put him back in the cage after the playpen, he always goes for food and drink and that's what he did yesterday, and then continued to explore the cage and run on the wheel.

I think he will be ok

Now that he's getting used to the cage I would like to make him OK with not being taken out to the playpen every day. How would I do that? I guess just take him out a little less like 6 days a week then 5 then.. Ideally I want to go the hedgieproof room route and not deal with assembling my homemade playpen and sit there for 3 hours afraid he's gonna escape(which he did once by stacking up objects and getting out)

ANother thing is that that day I let him sleep in the cardboard box with fleece strips, and he loves that thing. He absolutely WILL NOT come out of that thing on his own.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Last edited by Slava; 10-18-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in