weird behaviour - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default weird behaviour

i got a albino hedgehog 4 day ago and name him loki , i have notice his weird behaviour, he seem lick and spit their saliva on their back, it also make a loud snuffing sound, this is quite rare for me, but when my friend approach and to touch him, he quickly lick his saliva before roll up, what that mean ?
isaac clarke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: weird behaviour

It's normal for them to do that it's called anointing Looks pretty weird tho! Do a search on the forum and you will find lots of info about it...it's nothing to get freaked out about really!
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hahaha I can understand being concerned seeing that without knowing what it is. It's really weird looking!!
Dexter does it often!

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

i do not know much about it but in wikipedia says it's just cleaning up from the dust mites and some say that it was to defend himself, but do not know why the reason he do it, if my hedgehog can talk to me,of course he,ll tell me why they do that
isaac clarke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac clarke
i do not know much about it but in wikipedia says it's just cleaning up from the dust mites and some say that it was to defend himself, but do not know why the reason he do it, if my hedgehog can talk to me,of course he,ll tell me why they do that
I think they do it if they "like" a smell and want to try to blend in with their surroundings. They bite/lick it until they're satisfied then they foam up and rub the "smell" all over them, and repeat until they're done. I guess its kind of defensive? Like, in the wild if they smell like the surroundings they won't smell like a hedgehog so no predators could find them. Does that make sense? Haha
Things that Dexter has done it to: A towel, a foot stool, my pearl necklace, grass (that was a messy one), the carpet, leather couch ... i think that's it! Haha it's quite funny
Just know its totally normal . Some people say that holding their hedgie after they do it makes their hand itch (i guess his spit has some sort of irritant) so i try not to hold him without a fleece or something after he does it!
Hope that helps! Enjoy your new hedgie!!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

NOTHING compares to anointing with dried chicken liver. Three baths and two weeks later and the smell was a strong as ever. He seriously smelled like rotting meat.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
NOTHING compares to anointing with dried chicken liver. Three baths and two weeks later and the smell was a strong as ever. He seriously smelled like rotting meat.
hahaha ew. yeah the grass wasn't smelly, he was just green and had dirt all over him haha (and i had literally JUST given him a full bath the night before. )

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
I'm sorry....that must have smelled HORRIBLE!!! But really, it's HILLARIOUS!!! I probably wouldn't think so if Harvey did it though.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sheldon annoints like craxy with his sweet potato babyfood. His tummy is usually orange after hahahah

shortnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in