excessive pooping in the bath? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default excessive pooping in the bath?

Hello Hedgie fans,

Question, recently adopted a 1 year old hedgie that was neglected so maybe this has something to do with it....

Sheldons over weight so I've been letting him swim in a few inches of water in the bathtub Supervised of couse which he seems to like a lot. However he seems to hold in all his poo's for the day and goes like crazy once his cute little bum touches the water. He goes over a peroid of like 5 min and the water temp is lukewarm and the poos look healthy.

Is he ok or should I be worried?

shortnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: excessive pooping in the bath?

The warm water relaxes the anus its fairly common for a hedgie to "let lose" in warm water
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks TWCOGAR Guess Ill get me a fishtank net to make things easier. He's my first Hedgie you see -Meg

Old 07-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also be sure even for the sake of exercise you don't overdo it on the water exposure it can dry out you hedgie's skin and make them very uncomfortable. an Aveeno Oatmeal Bath will help dry skin in combination with a drop or so of flax seed oils after bath time on the skin to reduce dry skin. If you haven't yet post some pictures to share of you new family member ^.^
Old 07-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnerdy
Thanks TWCOGAR Guess Ill get me a fishtank net to make things easier. He's my first Hedgie you see -Meg
If you bathe in the sink like I do, I just let the water go down the drain after I take Sonic out. ThenI pull the plug back up so I can easily clean the poop with a paper towel. Much easier then a fish net!

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver
Quote:
If you bathe in the sink like I do, I just let the water go down the drain after I take Sonic out. ThenI pull the plug back up so I can easily clean the poop with a paper towel. Much easier then a fish net!
Bathtub is more for excercise lil fatso needs to lose some weight and not enough room in the sink for him os swim

Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver
Quote:
Bathtub is more for excercise lil fatso needs to lose some weight and not enough room in the sink for him os swim
Just curious since you say he is over weight is he unable to ball up properly? if he is he may be where he should be hedgehogs can vary greatly in overall size/weight even in their own family. How many grams does you hedgie weigh?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Just curious since you say he is over weight is he unable to ball up properly? if he is he may be where he should be hedgehogs can vary greatly in overall size/weight even in their own family. How many grams does you hedgie weigh?
I haven't taken him to the vet yet, will as soon as i find one in my area and hst is in. He needs his nails done too so long I doubt his old mummy ever did them and he's not tame enough for me to yet.

He feels a lot heavier then the 1.5ish pounds I read he should be and his little "lovehandles" squash out the bottom when he walks. He seems good at curling in a ball. He spends most of his time like that But I'm working on it! Please keep the advise/suggestions coming I kept gerbals and hammys for years but he's my first Hedgie.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Obesity as I under stand it in a hedgehog varies get a postal scale you can get these at many office retails and weigh her in grams if you hedgie is able to ball completely she is not over weight potentially, some are just larger then others just ensure the food you feed her is lower in fat. Also how often are these swim sessions? hedgies get irritated by dry skin which multiple baths can cause easily.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I let him swim saturday *needed to he pooped all over himself and his carrier on the way home* then let him swim sunday.

Had no idea about the skin thing till yesterday evening, Ill keep it off for the time being. Don't want to hurt him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in