Terrible Teens? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HedgehogGuy
  • 1 Post By MomLady

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Terrible Teens?

Oliver recently passed his 4 month mark (I had though last month was his fourth month but I just can't count...) and he's develped a bad habit that I'm sure he thinks is terribly hilarious, but has me doing a TON of laundry. In the past week or so, he has been habitually peeing and pooping on me and I suspect it's on purpose. At first I thought he was just being a hedgehog and doing his thing, but after yesterday I am convinced, it's intentional. I kid you not, he peed and/or pooped on me SIX times in a ROW. Usually, whenever we are playing, and Oliver has to potty I put him in his litter box so he can do his business there and I think he's began to associate that with getting to be put back in his cage. Lately I've been trying to avoid doing it, but it just means he pees on me or poops on me. It's upetting because in the past, he's been pretty good about hinting to me he has to go and I can get him to his litter before any accidents, but like I said, peeing and pooping 6 times in the span of 30-45 minutes has to be forced. How do I break the habit? EVERY time I pick him up now, he ends up using me for his toilet. Any ideas?

Last edited by Ally's_Oliver; 04-22-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Haha. Love the story. I'll be honest it made me chuckle.
Is he litter trained? Does he use the bathroom in the litter (whens he's not going on you)? Haha
Ally's_Oliver likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would just continue to use the litter pan trick. Even taking it out of the cage so it's right next to you, so you can just plop him in there whenever it looks like he's going to poop. And try to keep him in his pan for as long as possible, so he gets it all out. I know that's hard to do, but it could help him from going to the bathroom on you. Giving him a treat when he goes potty in his pan can help too.

If you're doing a lot of laundry because he's going to the bathroom on you, you could try just using an old blanket or old piece of fleece, or even wearing an old sweater. Just something you don't mind getting soiled, just in case he does have an accident. And just re-use it until it's really dirty. I know that may sound gross It just helped me when my girl was still a baby and pooping everywhere - I had an old hoodie that I only washed once a week!

Or, maybe he's getting too much fiber or something in his diet is making him go to the bathroom a lot? Just a possibility, not sure on that though.

Keep in mind too, not all hedgehogs can be potty trained. Hopefully this is just a phase for your little guy, though. Good luck!

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

In his cage he does consistently use his litter pan, I've never had a problem with him not using it when he's in there. It's just out of the cage that recently he's started being really naughty.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do you let him run around in his cage when he first wakes up? Sometimes it helps if they can get it out of their systems first.
Does he show warning signs before he goes? My Nara would get all squirmy first. If she was out running around, she'd get really still.
Another thing you can do is maybe get him out of his cage at a different time--try maybe varying the time by 30 or 45 minutes.
Last piece of advice, keep small pieces of fleece under him, like you would a baby "burp" cloth. Easier to wash a small piece than everything you're wearing.
lilsurfergrlsp likes this.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for your advice! I will definitely be trying everything I can and hopefully he will break the habit soon!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

At 4 months he's still a "baby" and doesn't have much control over his bodily functions right now. He will get better as he gets older and this is probably just a stage he's going through. I know its frustrating but it will get better!

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in