Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - About to bring home my very first hedgie!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lilysmommy
Super Moderator

Default Re: About to bring home my very first hedgie!

Welcome to HHC!

The wheel at Petsmart depends on which brand it is - Comfort Wheels are safe for hedgehogs, and so are Flying Saucers. For both, you'd need the large or giant 12" size to be big enough. If the wheel is a Silent Spinner, do not get it - the crack between the white/colored parts can catch and injure nails and toes. However, if you're looking for a wheel that's silent and easy to clean, bucket wheels or cake top wheels are MUCH better than any store-bought wheels. You can make your own (tutorials on youtube), or buy one from someone else. There's several people that sell them on here, if you look in the For Sale forum under wheels.

Purina One isn't really a great choice. It tends to still have corn in the ingredients, as well as other not-so-great ingredients, like unnamed fats and by-products. The brands that are popular on here are Innova, Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Natural Balance, and Solid Gold. There's plenty of other good brands too - you want to look for protein around 28-35%, fat below 15% (only runners need higher fat, usually), and for ingredients you want a meat or meat meal for the first ingredient, you don't want any corn, by-products, you want any meat, meat meals, or fats to be a named animal (chicken versus poultry, chicken fat versus animal fat), and no BHT, BHA, or ethoxyquin. It can be kind of confusing at first, but there are quite a few good, healthy brands out there once you get used to what to look for.

Also, on the subject of tips and information for first time owners...I highly recommend checking out this hedgehog care book, written by one of our mods LizardGirl - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html It's free to download and full of great information that's perfect for new and old owners. Definitely worth keeping on hand to look things up easily!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote