Southern California - Looking to rehome a 1.5 year old female Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Southern California - Looking to rehome a 1.5 year old female Hedgie

Hello, I recently made a thread but I'm not sure where it went. I currently own a young female hedgehog and she lives with me in my apartment. However, I have loud housemates and a generally small area that she lives in and I feel that it is not ideal for her health. I have had her for half a year and she is a wonderful hedgehog, but I fear for her own health that the environment is keeping her from resting. I am looking for an experienced or dedicated new owner to take her in, as I would like to avoid Craigslist and find someone who has a passion for hedgehogs.
She comes with a 4' x 4' playpen, a insulated igloo, a food and water bowl, a heat lamp and thermostat, a wheel, a teepee, travel kit, and fleeces. I have a little food for her.
She is an explorer and is shy when waking up, but very friendly once out for a little while. She is gentle and has never bitten or hurt anyone. She loves red bell peppers and enjoys crawling on people. Please message me or reply if you are interested and are in the Southern California area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170329_190840[2].jpg (365.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20160726_212252[1].jpg (129.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20161017_234807[1].jpg (162.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by JaCoCo; 03-30-2017 at 12:53 AM.
JaCoCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are illegal to be kept as pets in California. Please don't give her to someone else in the area and encourage this act of breaking the law. Try to find someone in another (legal) state that could care for her or you can give her up to the Hedgehog Welfare Society and they can find a good home for her.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy_the_hedgie View Post
Hedgehogs are illegal to be kept as pets in California. Please don't give her to someone else in the area and encourage this act of breaking the law. Try to find someone in another (legal) state that could care for her or you can give her up to the Hedgehog Welfare Society and they can find a good home for her.
Thank you for your input

Old 03-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
There is no HWS rescue station in California or Arizona, and there's only one in Nevada.
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I searched on Google and found many exotic vets in California that could treat a hedgie. Maybe they will take her.

Is there any pet stores in Nevada or Arizona that might take her?

Can you ship her or drove her to a breeder in Nevada or Arizona?

Where did you get your hedgehog?You might be able to just take her back.

I remember the Sacremento zoo actually had 4 hedgehogs last time I was there. Maybe they will take her.

I hope one of these ideas works! Good luck!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I searched on Google and found many exotic vets in California that could treat a hedgie. Maybe they will take her.

Is there any pet stores in Nevada or Arizona that might take her?

Can you ship her or drove her to a breeder in Nevada or Arizona?

Where did you get your hedgehog?You might be able to just take her back.

I remember the Sacremento zoo actually had 4 hedgehogs last time I was there. Maybe they will take her.

I hope one of these ideas works! Good luck!
Abandoning the hedgehog at a vet or giving it to a questionable pet store is probably worse for the animal than just finding someone local who can take her, although I know this forum will be reluctant to admit that.
My guess is that is also why they are posting here.
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, a pet store would NOT be recommended at all, regardless of what state it's in. Most don't know how to care for a hedgehog properly & already get people trying to dump animals on them. To be honest, none of those suggestions are great - vets don't need someone trying to dump an animal on them either, they also get that frequently. Same with zoos, and zoos will rarely take in animals unless they have an actual planned enclosure, etc. for them.

JaCoCo, please contact the Hedgehog Welfare Society even though they don't have a California station - if I remember correctly, they do have a group of people working to take hedgehogs out of California and may be able to help you find a good legal home for your hedgehog, or help get her to the Nevada station.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with the others in that I will not give her to a pet store or worse yet, a zoo. I apologize as I believe I may have mistaken the purpose of this forum. I bought her from a family that collects exotic/illegal pets and from my initial analysis, she was abused and mistreated. My only fear is that I may be doing the same to her if she continues living in my apartment.
I contacted the HWS in hopes that they may do something but I am fairly limited in resources and was hoping that there were people actively looking to rescue hedgehogs in Southern California. I will try to get her to a Nevada station if there are no other options, thank you.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am sorry. I didn't mean to give harmful information. I understand none of my suggestions are ideal but I was thinking of worst case scenario.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I am sorry. I didn't mean to give harmful information. I understand none of my suggestions are ideal but I was thinking of worst case scenario.
It's ok, I understand. In a worst case scenario, I'll most likely sell her to someone with some vetting process. But I was hoping that a good Samaritan come and take her in. I'm not in a rush, but I know that she can't live with me forever. Thank you for your concern though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in