Baby Boy Hedgehog Needs New Home ~Annapolis, Maryland - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Baby Boy Hedgehog Needs New Home ~Annapolis, Maryland

I purchased my hedgehog from a breeder a little over a month ago and have had a hard time with him. He was extremely friendly at the breeder's home when handling him, but now balls up whenever I attempt to pick him up. I want to just go in and handle him anyways because I know he would calm down quickly, but I am terrified of the quills. A hedgehog simply wasn't the right pet for me. If you really want a hedgehog, and are willing to put in some effort, this could be a great opportunity for you because he isn't bonded with me.

Some info about him-
-Birthdate- November 18th, 2016
-Almost 4 months old
-Grey Snowflake coloring
-Likes to explore

I would also like to sell my cage setup and accessories, which can include the following:

-Large 8 square foot cage https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-CHE Heating Bulb w/ Clamp Lamp
-Digital Thermometer
-Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel
-A Snuggle Sack
-An Igloo
-A Pvc Pipe

Since he's so young, I would like to ask for $50 for him, but if it comes down to it I will let someone adopt him for free. The full cage setup would be $100, but I would be willing to negotiate that.

If you or anyone you know might be interested, please have them reach out. I know that this hedgie could really come around with the right person. If you want to see pictures or have questions, let me know.
Makennaa likes this.
kaila21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here is a picture of him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG952017012195202844.jpg (160.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Most reputable breeders require that you return a hedgehog to them if you decide to not keep it. Have you contacted the breeder you got him from?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Most reputable breeders require that you return a hedgehog to them if you decide to not keep it. Have you contacted the breeder you got him from?
The breeder knew that I was having a difficult time with him and wasn't much help. It was a very informal purchase. There was no contract, and no rules were said to me whatsoever. The breeder is far from my house, which isn't a huge deal but I just really wanted to earn some money back for what I paid. Maybe it would just be best to return him though.. he seemed to like the breeder a whole lot more than me.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

It's not that he likes the breeder more than he likes you, you have to realize that he's known the breeder since he was a baby and spent the first 3 months of his life with her. He grew up knowing her scent and her touch. Suddenly he's been taken from everything he knows and is put into a new place with strange people and strange smells. It can take months for a hedgehog to adjust to a new home and to be relax around a new owner. It has nothing to do with liking or not liking their new owner, it's about them learning to trust them and relax around them. Remember that hedgehogs haven't been domesticated for very long so they take a long time to adjust to new things.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you get him from a reputable breeder or?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Are you wanting to re-home him because he isn't warming up to you And behaving in a way you imagined, or is there other factors in play?

If it's because he's not a acting the way you thought he would, get rid of your thoughts. They aren't doing you any good. Quills aren't the most comfortable things in the world, you get over it by holding your hedgehog. It eventually becomes a normal sensation.
Biting sucks, but you avoid it and try your hardest not to react at all. By doing any reaction, you are teaching him that biting works for this. Same goes for any huffing puffing or jumping. Your hedgehog has trained you that acting defensively will make you avoid him. I'd bet you didn't even get a cookie out of that deal. When we train a dog to do something, they get a treat. You got the short end of the stick.

A hedgehog may not be the right animal for you, I don't know. But at the least, while he's with you, you owe it to him to give him the best scenario. That includes bonding with him nightly. That includes working on the biting. If you do end up finding him a new home, the better he is when he leaves you the better chance he will have in the new home. Read the stickies in the behavior section, they will likely help a great deal.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
Are you wanting to re-home him because he isn't warming up to you And behaving in a way you imagined, or is there other factors in play?

If it's because he's not a acting the way you thought he would, get rid of your thoughts. They aren't doing you any good. Quills aren't the most comfortable things in the world, you get over it by holding your hedgehog. It eventually becomes a normal sensation.
Biting sucks, but you avoid it and try your hardest not to react at all. By doing any reaction, you are teaching him that biting works for this. Same goes for any huffing puffing or jumping. Your hedgehog has trained you that acting defensively will make you avoid him. I'd bet you didn't even get a cookie out of that deal. When we train a dog to do something, they get a treat. You got the short end of the stick.

A hedgehog may not be the right animal for you, I don't know. But at the least, while he's with you, you owe it to him to give him the best scenario. That includes bonding with him nightly. That includes working on the biting. If you do end up finding him a new home, the better he is when he leaves you the better chance he will have in the new home. Read the stickies in the behavior section, they will likely help a great deal.
Yes, and I wish it was that easy but can you seriously not understand me not wanting to pick him up when he's in full-on quills out defense mode? When handing him at the breeder, within 15 seconds I managed to get poked and it hurt pretty badly. I don't know if I have sensitive skin or what but if it hurt like that when his quills were laid, I can't imagine how they would feel in spike mode. I've tried wrapping a shirt around him to pick him up but he freaks out and his quills shank me through the shirt! Literally nothing works. Touching the quills when he's in a ball has caused me, my mom, and my sister to jerk backwards like 20 feet because of the shock. There's no way I'm holding that in my bare hands! This isn't quite what I had in mind, and I guess I'll be returning him to the breeder. I understand that he's scared but he is literally so skiddish! He looks like he's having a heart attack at the quietest sounds. I get they are very sound-oriented but seriously. I can't move a muscle in my bed at night because if he hears me he will stop running on his wheel and night is the only time he does so. I want the best for him and wish it was different, but this just isn't working out. I feel bad for feeling this way, but it just seems doubtful that he will improve if I can't even handle him.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Forget all that. Does part of you want him? Without all the nonsense because it can be worked on, and is actually rewarding when progress is made. At some point, you wanted a hedgehog. You have to personally decide what your next course of action is.
Yes their quills can hurt, it's why they are there. Full defense mode? Still get picked up but fleece is your friend in this situation.
The breeder could have very likely had him out for a good bit of time before your arrival to let him get those defensive moves out of his system.

If you decide to keep him, even if it's a situation where you give him 2 months of honest attempt, people here are more than willing to help you overcome the obstacles you are dealing with right now.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm having trouble understanding what you expected when you got an animal that is covered in sharp quills. Yes I do know what it feels like. I have been poked so bad by some of my rescues that I was bleeding, but that's part of what you have to deal with when taking in an animal that has needle sharp quills as a defence mechanism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in