South Florida - Hedgehog for re-home - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjdonini

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default South Florida - Hedgehog for re-home

Greetings Fellow Hedgie Lovers,
My husband and I have been proud hedgehog owners for the past four years to a pygmy male Sheamus. He is very healthy, has only lived alone, and has had veterinarian check-ups with a friend of ours. My husband and I rescue animals from time to time and our home is a busy one. There is no immediate necessity to re-home our Sheamus, but I felt compelled to post about him on here after our recent move to South Florida. He has previously been used in educational programs for children, and now is in a bit of retirement from it.
We are interested in possibly finding Sheamus a home with a family that does not have as many other pet commitments, and can "spoil" Sheamus with more affections and provide greater stimulation. He is fed a mixed diet daily, given a bath every two weeks, bedding is spot-cleaned daily, and changed every month. His immediate health care is (of course) provided happily, but if there is a family in South Florida that can potentially have fewer commitments elsewhere to focus on Sheamus, we are very open to re-homing him. He would come with cage and a full set of accessories.
We do love this animal, and we know with the hedgie lifespan of 5-8 years, that someone may be making a long commitment in adopting him from us. That said, we are looking for a South Florida home with some knowledge of necessary care and if other hedgies were a part of the same family it might be a good fit too. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4838.JPG (142.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.jpg (285.3 KB, 16 views)
jjdonini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Honestly, hedgie lifespans are more like 4-6 years at most. There are very few that get up to 6-8 years these days. Sheamus is definitely considered to be elderly at the age he is now, and it's stressful on hedgies to go through rehoming. Unless you really think he'll handle a new environment, people, etc. alright, it sounds to me like it'd be best if he stayed with you guys in his old age.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Smile

We share your thought process Lilysmommy. Thanks! And we would be happy to keep Sheamus with us. We just decided to post on the blog in the small chance that a family with hedgehog experience might be able to provide greater stimulation/attention for him. Or even other hedgehogs that he might be able to interact with for small visits. Moving in the home/set-up that he lives in now I assumed he would not be as stressed? He's moved several homes with us in the past.
Lilysmommy likes this.
jjdonini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's usually getting used to the different humans that can be stressful, as far as I've seen! Even for friendly hedgehogs, it's not uncommon for them to have a hard time adjusting. But maybe you guys will find someone he'll continue to do well with. He's very cute!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
adoption, florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in