Chicago area- 1 yr old female hedgehog needs new home - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chicago area- 1 yr old female hedgehog needs new home

Hi everyone:

We are looking to re-home a female hedgie, about 1 year old. My teenaged stepson received it initially at his mother's house, but fearing for its survival over there we allowed him to bring it to our house. He will no longer be spending as much time by us, as his schedule has changed due to starting high school. His interest waned after the first few weeks anyway, and his father has been feeding, cleaning and caring for her. We would love to find her a new home where will she will get more attention and one on one time. We both work full time and foster dogs as well, so we just aren't able to give her the attention she deserves. She is not super social, but generally pretty good natured. We will include her current cage, wheel, igloo, food etc. We are in the West Chicago suburbs, but are willing to meet.

If you are interested or know someone who might be, please message me.

Thank you!
pspizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately, I can't take her; I've already resigned myself to not adopting another hedgehog our family fell in love with.

May I ask where she came from? Some breeders around here (I'm in the west suburbs, too) are great, while others are less than desirable. Knowing that may help me make suggestions.

As a general suggestion, you can contact The Hedgehog Welfare Society for assistance. They do have at least one rescue station in the area, and while she's not listed on the site, I know of at least one person in Naperville who is very well known by the HWS.

Any other suggestions I have would depend on where she came from.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Melanie: Thanks for your reply. My stepson's cousin received a hedgehog, and it turned out to be pregnant, our hedgie was from that litter. I unfortunately don't know exactly where the mother was from, it could have been a breeder or a pet store. I will contact HWS as well, thanks for the advice!
pspizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmmm. Do you think her mom came from this area?

The thing is, there's a couple of breeders around here who are really bad.

You might try contacting my breeder (and advisor, and, most likely, future mentor), Morningstar Hedgehogs. Her waiting list is currently out to January or February, and she often has people contacting her who would be willing to take an adult re-home. I can almost guarantee she won't be willing to take in your girl and provide a health guarantee since her bloodline is unknown, but she might know of someone who is willing to adopt a rescue of unknown bloodlines with no health guarantee. (Even if your girl's parents have not exhibited any health issues and your girl has been given stellar care, she would be considered a UNK/unknown and would not likely qualify for any type of health guarantee beyond "currently healthy." It isn't a reflection upon your family, only the unknown bloodline.)

If you contact her, please keep in mind that while she attempts to respond to all e-mails and messages within 24 hours, she's extremely busy with her job, a large herd, and at least 4 litters going home this month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in