Hedgehog Central banner

Bab hedgie sleeping at night? PLEASE READ!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Nancy 
#1 ·
I got my baby hedgehog on Saturday. He is 8 weeks old. He seems to still be sleeping during the day and at night? He got up to eat last night but just went back to sleep. Is he okay? Is this a sign of something? Also he keeps itching. Is there anything I can do about that to? Thanks for the help! And sorry if i sound like im over reacting its just im new to hedgies and want the best for my baby ollie!

#4 ·
aconite-pawlove said:
Check if she's quilling. Sometimes they have reduced activity during this time.. how much does she eat?
Well i refilled her bowl two nights ago and he has eaten one fourth or maybe even half of it already. I have no clue if he is quilling or not. This is my first hedgie so im new to this all. I mean i have researched it all and everything but still not 100 percent sure.

#5 ·
Hedgehogs are nocturnal so they sleep about all day and babies tend to sleep even more. Do you have a lighting schedule?
Fresh food and water should be given daily. You should read LizardGirl's book it's so helpful :)
http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html

#6 ·
LarryT said:
Hedgehogs are nocturnal so they sleep about all day and babies tend to sleep even more. Do you have a lighting schedule?
Fresh food and water should be given daily. You should read LizardGirl's book it's so helpful :)
http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html
I do have a lighting schedule, from 6am till around 6pm or later.

And well I do refresh the water everyday but I didnt want to waste the food he hasnt eaten yet.

#8 ·
As Larry mentioned food can go stale after a day, but also it can become contaminated with saliva as they are eating, or feces and urine. Hedgehogs, especially babies often sit in their dish while eating. Give only slightly more than he eats in a day and replace each day. Being a baby, replacing morning and night is a good idea. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.