Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Possibly getting a hedgehog as a pet in the future
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tym4myself

Default Re: Possibly getting a hedgehog as a pet in the future

Thanks for bringing up the defensive hedgehog, Kalandra.

I will admit that if I had a hedgehog that just hated to be handled all the time and was defensive like that, it would be a bit of a disappointment, but I understand it's a possibility. I definitely want to know everything I can before making decision on getting one. If I end up with one who is grumpy all the time no matter how much I try to socialize it, it will still have a home in our house.

So far, of all the supposed "cons" I've read about, the biggest concern I have is temperature regulation. Everything else I have no problems dealing with (poop, pee, errm...masturbation lol, defensive, biting, etc). I have even called my vet to find out if they are familiar with hedggies...they are not very familiar with them but they do see them. They did recommend a vet down by Lansing though, but I'm still going to look for one closer to home (i'm an hour or so north of Lansing). I would also like to find a breeder close to me that would be willing to let me come over and visit some hedgehogs before I make my decision.

Still lots of homework to do.

Tym4myself is offline   Reply With Quote