Hedge-friendly Airline! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hedge-friendly Airline!

So I'm moving to Northern Ontario this summer to be with my boyfriend while he's on a work co-op in Timmins. Timmins is a pretty small place, so in order to get there, you have to fly to Toronto or Ottawa and then take a small plane. Unfortunately for me, I found out last night that Air Canada had an apparent monopoly on all flights to Timmins, and they don't even allow hedgies in the pet cargo hold.

I skype my boyfriend, in tears, because what will poor Sandslash do, how will we get him there?

My boyfriend leaves for about 3 minutes, and returns with the news that Bearskin Airlines also flies to Timmins. He read their website, and small pets are not only welcome to fly, but they're allowed in the cabin!

In the past year I have put HOURS in of just whining at airlines to let Sandy in the cabin with no luck so I was so pleasantly surprised! I called the lady and double-checked and she's like yes small pets are free to come in the cabin with you in a carrier, but there's a fee (less than westjet charges to take any pet in the cabin, btw). I'm like that's not a problem at all, does it matter what animal he is? And she's like "well I assume he's a dog?"

So I'm thinking uh-oh, another anti-hedgie airline. But I say "actually...he's a hedgehog". The lady BURSTS out laughing and asks his name and I say Sandy and she says to "tell Sandy he's welcome in our cabins any time"

So if anyone ever has the misfortune of having to move to N. Ontario :P There is now an airline where your hedgie is welcome!
Galvon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedge-friendly Airline!

That's great! It's hard enough to move across the country without thinking of leaving someone behind.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Alastrina

That's great! I kinda wish I was moving to Northern Ontario ^_^

I'm making the move from Germany to the US and I'm about to get testy with the airline we're flying... they'll fly my hedgie.... in cargo.... for like $300. X_X

Go Bearskin Airlines for being pro-hedgie!

Rest in Peace Charley, you will always be my heart <3
Alastrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvon
So I'm moving to Northern Ontario this summer to be with my boyfriend while he's on a work co-op in Timmins.
Sorry to hear! lol i'm from Sudbury and find it pretty boring...my friend live in Timmins for a while and it's even worse hah. Then again, it is a nice little town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastrina
That's great! I kinda wish I was moving to Northern Ontario
It gets cold up here, but it's pretty peaceful for the most part! Definitely a good place to call home though!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Does Air Canada not allow hedgies at all on flights or is it that the planes going to Timmins are not large enough. When I had a boy flew from BC to Toronto years ago, he was only allowed on certain planes because the others the cargo holds on the smaller planes were not pressurized well enough for animals. Hopefully Air Canada is not excluding hedgies all together, we need as many options as possible.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry to hear! lol i'm from Sudbury and find it pretty boring.
We almost had to move to Sudbury! He's a mining engineer so the rest of my life will be living in small mining towns

Quote:
Does Air Canada not allow hedgies at all on flights or is it that the planes going to Timmins are not large enough. When I had a boy flew from BC to Toronto years ago, he was only allowed on certain planes because the others the cargo holds on the smaller planes were not pressurized well enough for animals. Hopefully Air Canada is not excluding hedgies all together, we need as many options as possible.
Nancy they did outlaw hedgies entirely! Because if some of you remember my post from around Christmas, I took Sandslash home with me for Christmas and he was able to go with either Westjet or Air Canada in the cargo, but we ended up going Westjet. But I go to make arrangements for him yesterday and they must have JUST changed it. It specifically says "cats or dogs only" now! I'm a little outraged.

I did phone Westjet at christmas and asked to know the reasoning behind their anti-hedgie in the cabin policy, I talked to about 10 representatives and none knew why. However, one of them asked for my number so she could take it further. About 3 weeks later, I've totally forgotten about it. She calls me and says she took it as high as she could in every department possible and there's literally no justification to the rule. It's just one of those "rules are rules" things. She says to get as many hedgeowners as possible to e-mail or call customer service and complain about not being able to have your hedgies in the cabin, just so they know there's demand for it.

I should add that on the way home for Christmas, I was incredibly stressed and worried about Sandslash all alone in the hold (he was totally fine :P) and I had to sit next to a girl who got to carry on her small dog, and it barked the ENTIRE trip. WHY is that allowed and my chubby little boy isn't able to just sit in his house and be a fatty?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

How unfortunate that Air Canada has totally disallowed hedgehogs.

As someone who is horribly allergic to dogs, I think it totally unreasonable that dogs are allowed in the cabin and small pets are not. Many people are allergic to cats and dogs and have issues just being in the vicinity of them.

I will write to Westjet and suggest they allow hedgehogs in the cabin. Perhaps we should take up a petition and everyone can sign it.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree. if we all phone or e-mail and really follow up then they may consider it.

I believe you can still "ship" your hedgie by itself as cargo over a series of a few days. But you couldn't pay me to leave Sandy in the care of some random stranger for more than an hour, let alone days. I enormously doubt they'd keep him warm enough.

Also, you can bring birds in the cabin. Birds. Where would you even put a bird? Why is every noisy pet allowed but our little hedgies with their barely audible huffs aren't welcome?

I'm going to e-mail Westjet a picture of Sandy making his surliest face so they know he's displeased with having to ride in the hold.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree that it is totally ridiculous. I have nothing against dogs and cats, am quite fond of them really. From what I have heard (My best friend has flown with her tiny dog a few times)- you phone the airline to request your cat/dog/bird in the cabin and they yes or no it. If you are allergic to the above mentioned pets you are supposed to phone the airline and indicate that you are allergic; if someone has already received permission to bring their furry friend on board you are SOL and have to pick a different flight. Seriously though, what have they got against our hedgies? I would be happy to phone/send an email/sign a petition as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Make a bright orange snuggle sack with the words "Service Animal" printed on it and tell them it is for therapeutic reasons.

Glad you got it sorted out though!
Katten likes this.
CAPTAIN: It's a small, spiky mammal.
CRONE: No... that's a hedgehog!
CAPTAIN: In that case we wish to engage you in ships cook and hedgehog.
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in