College? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy College?

Hi, so I have a couple of problems. I've had my hedgehog since July and everything is going great, he's healthy and everything. I'm a senior in highschool though and there's nowhere I can go around here where I can bring him with me or keep him at home and commute. My parents know how to take care of him very well and offered to take care of him at home for at least the first semester while I'm at school and getting accustomed to things and get on my feet and can afford an apartment. I can't move out of the dorms though until the second year, at the college I want to go to. So I'm kind of stuck and no one around me is helping me at all. I hope somebody has some advice. Everytime I think about leaving him I actually start to cry (I know I'm such a baby) but I love him so much and I'm afraid something will happen when I'm gone even though my parents LOVE him and I trust them a lot.
Savannahsays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think your parents will do a great job with him. You're parents sound like they know how to take care of him so I would trust them to watch him. You can go home and visit him (idk how far away you will be though). and then you can see him during breaks! I know its going to be really difficult but thats your only option.

I had to leave my dog all four years of college and only see him on breaks… i didn't really go home during the weekend. and I felt so so so guilty. But that was my only option so I had to. It was really difficult because I'm so attached to my dog.

Just remember that your hedgie is in good hands and he isn't going anywhere. You can still see him when you go home! which will make going home that much more exciting

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi!
I'm a college student and I know how painful it is to leave pets behind. It sounds like your parents will take great care of your hedgie. I didn't get as lucky with my birds in my dad's hands because he refuses to clean the cage (very upsetting, but he is getting better with him after I nagged enough) I still can't bring my birds because commuting birds is more difficult than commuting a hedgie, and they're too loud and will cause roommate issues. I actually just moved out of the dorm and into a pet-friendly apartment.

You're not a baby for crying. I get it. We're basically parents leaving our babies behind. Your parents will do a great job caring for your hedgie. If your dorm allows it, try getting a fish! It will give you something to care for while you're missing your hedgie. I'm not the greatest at keeping fish alive, but I had a few while living in the dorms. They don't interact as much, but they suffice for the moment being.

Have fun in college, hon! It really is a great experience, and I love it here. It hurts not seeing my birdies and my cats on a daily basis, but like what sc2001 said, it makes going home much more exciting!
phoenixjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

When my husband and I moved into a new place that only let us have two "outside of cage" pets, we had to make a very hard decision. We had two dogs (for me) and two cats (his). Unfortunately, it is much easier to rehome a dog than an adult cat. My baby boys now live full time with my parents and their pitbull/boxer and chihuahua. They have a fenced in yard, dog door, big comfy dog beds to sleep on, and more than I could give them in my little three room with postage stamp yard.

I go see them at LEAST once a week and sometimes sneak the little one down for overnight cuddles, but it was the best decision for THEM. To keep our same amount of animals, we would have had to live somewhere nowhere near as nice as our little place. It became a decision of letting them live with someone else, or affect everyone's lives and possibly safety.

It sucks, but sometimes it can be a part of growing up. Your hedgie will not have the space or life he deserves if he goes to college with you. It is sad to not have them next to us, but they are literally in a better place because of that decision. (my old boy doesn't come for overnights because he is 13 years old and travels stresses him out. Also he has less accidents with access to a dog door. 13 year old bladder don't hold for long, heh)
Crowley is loved and ashleyyy like this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the reassurance. i'm currently in Wisconsin and I'm going to Colorado, so sadly I can't just go home and visit as I please. By the end of text year Remmy will only be 2 so it's not like he's getting extremely old on me. It'll just be really hard, but thank you so much.
Savannahsays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe you can have a few Skype dates with Remmy and your parents
afireinsidex03 and PEBBLES83 like this.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just imagine though-in 2 years, Remmy will be able to travel out of WI's frozen tundra and go to college in a warmer town! I'm sure she'll love it! Also, skype dates are a good idea.
afireinsidex03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello! I'm currently in college and what I have done to be able to keep my hedgie with me is have a cage that will fit under my bed. Last year my bed was lofted quite a bit so it was no problem to slide his cage under there. I hung his heating lamp from the bed frame.
Technically I'm not suppose to have pets at school other than fish...but every residence adviser I've had doesn't mind. Usually they come and play with him. But, not all RA's will be that cool. I've been very lucky.
Klabbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just noticing this thread. Where in CO will you be coming for school? I'm in the Denver area, so if you need a hedgie fix, come love on Spork
Cricketbug427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wow I feel lucky to have all mine and my gfs pets, and the snake room (more then snakes in there, I just call it that lol). It does make things easy to (and cheaper) live off campus. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't have all my animals ( witch is probably to many hahaha ). I had to downsize when I moved, till I can set up my snake room again. I just don't have time with school and work right now, maybe this summer.

My advise is when you can move off campus, move to a pet friendly place. If you move with romates, just make surd there pet friendly too
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in