First Long Drive? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 AM  

Question First Long Drive?

I got my hedgie Bilbo early this June, and he is about 5 months old. The only time he's ridden in a car was when we took him home from the breeder, which was about a 30 minute drive. Our family is going on vacation to the beach for a week, which is at least a 3 hour drive, and I am conflicted between leaving Bilbo with my grandma or taking him with us, but I'm concerned about how he would handle the drive. I don't know how he would respond to being in the car that long, given that some hedgehogs could get carsick, and how he would travel while in the car. My dad is insisting we take him in the cardboard carrier we took him home in, but I don't know if that's the best idea. Any advice for first-time traveling with a hedgehog? I really don't want to leave him with my grandma that long because I know he wouldn't be handled for a whole week.

Thanks!! -Mia & Bilbo
ThePokeyHobbit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 AM  
Tom

Definitely don't use a cardboard carrier for a three hour car ride! Three hours isn't that bad, but you need to make sure that there's still room- perhaps a dog or cat carrier. Needs ventilation and water. You'll need to bring your cage or a spare with you (sterelite bins are easy to transport.

Bilbo might just sleep the whole way there unless you're driving at night.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:43 AM  

I went on an 8 hour car ride (and will be doing it again on Sunday) with my two girls. I would advise using a cat carrier and stuffing it with extra fleece for padding . Also, don't put water in the cage. It could spill causing Bilbo to get went and cold and possibly hibernate. A 3 hour trip isn't long enough that he would need water, especially if you are traveling during the day when they are normally asleep and not eating/drinking anyways.

I also made a packing list for when I got to Mississippi for a week long trip and also posted it in the travel section of the forums. Here's a link
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...king-list.html

3 hours really isn't that bad. You SHOULD be ok.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:57 AM  
Tom

(Went I said water I meant a water bottle) my carrier actually came with one ! And I suppose 3 hours isn't that long to go without water. I was just assuming it would be fairly hot.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 AM  

I also vote to take hedgie with! A three hour day trip probably means hedgie will just sleep right through it anyways! It's important he not go an entire week without being handled...you don't want to take steps back in the bonding/socializing process. I've read that hedgies can get car sick so perhaps take him on some short rides (even just an errand or two) to see how he does in the car. My hedgehog actually stays pretty alert whenever we take him in the car. He loves sniffing whatever new smells so he stays awake but I've read lots will just sleep through it. Good luck!

JulieAnne likes this.

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:07 AM  

Mine slept the entire 8 hours to Mississippi. We left around 8am and got there around 4pm. They moved around a little bit the first hour but after that.. not at all lol.

I agree that you should take a few short trips first but a 3 hour trip shouldn't be bad at all

Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 PM  

It's fine. But just don't put him in a cardboard box. He will get very bored in a cardboard box also it's kinda crampy in it too. So what I would suggest is put him in a carring plastic case. If you don't have that, can you put him in his cage and bring him with you? But if you are very desprit I'd say put him in at least a big cardboard box.

Hope this helped,
Katie
Chloethehedgie7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 AM  

I assumed the cardboard carrier was for the car ride only? Either way you SHOULD use a cat carrier so you can buckle it in and such (although I don't usually do that as we are usually tight on space lol).

If you need cage that doesn't take up much car space I would suggest a pop up dog kennel that's what I use when we go to Mississippi. No room for 4 people's luggage and two hedgehog cages so we use pop up dog kennels

Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 AM  
Tom

When I think of cardboard carriers I think of those tiny ones that pet stores use for transporting birds, hamsters, or rats home.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM  

So I have taken Dexter on mostly 3 hour trips and some shorter ones. I will say that when he's in the passenger seat buckled in (more stable), he hasn't had any problems really regardless of the time of day. However, I've done a short ride with him in a sterilite bin (and I suspect my mother overfed him while I was gone overnight) and he got car sick. So I'd say buckled in, on a lap, etc. in a smaller container than a large Sterilite might be a good idea... Hopefully Dex is as good on our upcoming 8-9 hour drive as he was on the shorter ones. Fingers crossed! This was helpful for my upcoming trip as well thanks everyone!
alma&dex is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
car rides, new hedgie, new owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in