Flying with a Heggie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flying with a Heggie

So I'm moving from Minneapolis to Las Vegas soon, and i've been trying to find an airline that would allow me to have Kate in the cabin with me. I've read some horror stories of pets dying flying in that other area of the plane, and I'm not sure if its temperature controlled or not. Not to mention I would be just more comfortable with holding the carrier in my lap.
Do any of you have suggestions? Driving is the last thing I want to do, but if I have to I will. But flying would be so much easier if it works out.
I've called Frontier, Southwest, Delta (who weren't able to give me a definite answer but I might be able to finaggle it) United, Jet Blue and Sun Country.
victorianfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Flying with a Heggie

Pets are generally put in the cargo hold, which may or may not be properly pressurized, and can reach freezing temperatures. I don't think a hedgehog would survive. Although I also don't know what effect the regular pressure of flying would have on them, either.

There's gotta be an airline out there that allows small pets. Even the FAA says small animals are allowed as long as their carrier can fit under the seat.

The JetBlue website said they'll allow small cats and dogs in the cabin with a $100 pet fee: http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/we ... e=obj(2032)

And this one says that Delta and US Airways allow small cats, dogs, and even birds in the cabin: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airlines ... 56311.html

Try calling back some of the airlines to talk to a different person. It's quite possible they just told you that because they didn't know the answer.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

As far as I know, no airline will allow a hedgehog in the cabin. Delta does have temperature controlled cargo hold though, you might contact them again to find more info. You could also send the hog overnight delta dash.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I live in Vegas and I wish I was able to bring Henry with me when I visit family back in New York but from the research I've done I have yet to find an airline that will allow it. Doesn't make much sense to me because he wouldn't be nearly as bothersome as a cat or dog but those just seen to be the rules. If you do for an airline that allows it please post...I'd love to know!

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also have done the research and none of the airlines will allow a hedgehog in the cabin area. Yes, to dogs and cats under the seat in front of you, but not any other type of animal. Not really fair, but I guess they aren't very educated. Also, the other passengers would possibly flip out with fear!!!

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you look into it, a lot of people use airplanes to get hedgehogs from breeders far away. Most airlines have programs that allow you to ship hedgehogs in their holds, which ARE pressurized and temperature controlled.

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have heard that airlines consider them to be a rodent and therefore chew on plastic and for that reason are a risk to escape. They don't want a lose animal running around a cabin.... I'll stop before I go on a serious rant
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Funny thought since hedgehogs technically aren't rodents (at least as far as I'm aware). I would love to take my little ones to visit family in Florida, but its a financial crunch anyways, so I will just have to wait for a) money to appear out of thin air and b) airlines to get their heads out of their butts and realize that our quilled kids are no danger (never say never, but I doubt that)
JessHog613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Although Delta's cargo section is temperature controlled, they don't put any oxygen down there.

Last edited by Superhedgie; 04-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Superhedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been doing research about international flights, etc. which brings a whole new layer of complication, etc. but I am particularly looking at a couple of airlines - United and Copa which have direct merger flights to where I would be going...

I have not specifically mentioned it's a hedgehog, as I will deal with embassies, etc. first before I get into those details with an airline but United does allow small mammals besides cats & dogs in the cabin - rabbits, gerbils, and birds. If birds (also often exotic) are allowed in cabin, I would think a hedgehog might be able to be allowed in cabin?

They do have limits on the number of pets that can be on each flight though and you have to include this info when you book your flight, etc.

I am finding that some international airlines seem to be quite a bit more relaxed about pets in the cabin (ie. Copa Airlines which operates in all of Latin America really but not in the States unfortunately).

Here is the link to info for united's policies on pets in cabin... https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx

And the link to their info about "shipping" pets which I feel skeptical about... https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/petsafe.aspx
alma&dex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in