"day trips" - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "day trips"

I hope this is the right place for this post! If not I'm sorry!

I JUST got my hedgie yesterday and am looking forward to being able to take her with when I go to my boyfriends house or my sister's house. Obviously I will need to take some sort of carrier and some food and a water dish as well as her little fleece sack. I am wondering what size carrier would be appropriate for taking her places just during the day (granted I would probably be there for several hours to watch TV and hang out) and if there would be anything else I should take for our future trips. Also curious, how long should I wait before I start taking her places? I don't want to overwhelm her or anything but I am looking forward to showing her off! Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: "day trips"

Hedgehogs are not like dogs in that they have needs that dogs do not.
During colder weather you would need a sorce of heat so your hog will not catch a chill.
Also stress is not good for a hedgie and moving it from place to place could
upset your baby.
These are just the first thoughts I had.
Better to keep it at home and have your friends come to see you.
Have a hedgie housewarming party?
gogrnny1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Really? I've heard of people taking their hedgies all over the place with them. Is that just for when they get older?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

No It's at any age. Some hedgehogs even vomit from being in a car, I've had a few people tell me that. I think you are better off leaving your hedgie at home,,,,,,,,imo

A rescue contact for Manitoba with The Hedgehog Welfare Society

Heavenly Hedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Taking your hedgehog out with you to the store, to someone else's house, etc, are all great ways to socialize them. We bring ours in carry-bags (fleece-lined), and they sleep in there, slung over the shoulder, unless they're taken out. Food isn't necessary for a day trip. Bring a little bit of water if it's going to be more than an hour or two, and offer it at some point in the middle. If it's cold outside, keep a handwarmer in with them tucked inside a sock (so the hedgie can't get at it) which keeps them plenty warm - then once you're inside somewhere that's heated it's fine to take them out.

Your hedgie might be nervous about it the first few times, but they get used to it, and it's a fantastic way to get them used to new sounds, smells, having different people around - the same kind of socialization that's good for a new puppy. If they're used to encountering new things, they become desensitized and won't react as defensively. The personality of your hedgehog might make them better suited for some trips rather than others, kind of like it would be with a kid. We've had one who would get carsick as a baby but grew out of it, so if yours were to have motion sickness, I'd say wait for them to get a little older and try again - and if it doesn't go away maybe they're not the best candidate. But yes, I highly recommend this kind of thing, we always have at least one hedgehog with us when we go out running errands, going to the store, etc.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Moxie. Do you think she's too young to go out now? I'm considering going to my boyfriends house later on and if I can bring her with me that would be great. I think she's about 8 weeks old (I had to get her from a pet store and am not exactly sure on the age but that is my guess from her size and everything) There's a picture below. I don't know if you'll be able to tell her age from the picture but... she's cute anyways haha. Do you think she's old enough for a little outing?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I take mine to work withme every Friday. It's a quiet office and he sleeps most the day but on breaks we go outside for him to do his buisness then we come back in and he'll drink and have some kibble then go back to sleep either in his carrier or on my lap. The first time we did it I did worry about stressing him but he had no green poops, didn't roll up at all and just seemed to enjoy the new smells and sounds. He's not a fraidy hedgy by all means so I guess it would depend on the temperment of your hedgy. I also consider taking him to work with me bonding time. I just make sure I have extra fleece blankets for when he poops on me.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just saw your photo! She's adorable. That's about the age I started Taking Percy to work with me.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'd say go for it. We start doing it when we bring our new babies home, so at around 6 weeks. At 6-8 weeks you probably would want to do it not every day, but more like once or twice a week, just to not overwhelm her. Back when we had one hedgehog, Archimedes, we took him out almost daily. Now we have them all on rotation so it's more like once a week. Definitely bring paper towels, because she's young and she'll end up pooping quite a bit. If you have a spare bag, that's good to have on hand, in case she poops or pees in her bag - that way you don't have to put her back into the mess, haha.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

I only have one bag right now (am going to get/make more) but I was planning on taking this little fleece blanket we have and don't use. I also have blue surgical towels that I use just to lay in my lap, I don't know if y'all know what those are. It's the towels they use at the vet/hospital to wrap up their instruments. Thankfully the place I will be going will be fairly quiet. Thanks for all y'alls help! I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in