College - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default College

Okay, so I'm a sophmore in High school right now, and I'm under the impression that Watson will live long enough to the point that I will be going away for college (He's only about 6ish months old). Do colleges generally accept Hedgehogs or not?

Note - I do plan on going to art school if you want any more specifics, in the US.
Caffesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: College

It is my understanding that you can not have pets in residence, unless things have changed but there was a no pets policy at both colleges I attended. If you wanted to take him with you, you would have to rent an apartment.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well the majority of colleges that I've looked up allow small pets... might that include Hedgehogs?
Caffesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

You would have to call and ask. My college didn't allow pets at all.

I would go ahead and think about if you are financially able to live in an apartment off campus or not. You shouldn't have a problem finding one that allows pets.
MLHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't see why it would not include a hedgehog. Small pets usually mean they want something that is contained to a cage or tank. They just don't want cats or dogs running around. I am sure you could email someone to confirm but if it says they allow small pets a hedgehog is definitely in that category. But make sure to confirm before you head there with him.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Except some colleges require you to live on campus freshman and sophomore year. Basically, its different for every college so I'd start looking into ones you may be interested in.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Are you meaning in the dorms? Most dorms in my state do not allow any pets, but I lived in an apartment or rented room through all of college and had my hedgehogs all through college no problem. I even had a couple of my professors ask me to bring one to class occasionally, once they found out about my hedgie addiction, because they were curious about them! Watson, if he stays in good health and no accidents/etc. occur, should live well beyond your college years. In my situation, I found it was worth it to live off campus in non-university housing so that I could keep my little ones. If that is an option for you, I would highly recommend it... hedgehogs are fantastic late-night study buddies!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssinreality
Except some colleges require you to live on campus freshman and sophomore year. Basically, its different for every college so I'd start looking into ones you may be interested in.
I second that!

My landlord says no pets allowed, but when I asked they said it was fine as long as it was in a tank. XD I'm not going to ask another thing about it!

Actually, my college was the same way. You had to live on campus in certain dorms. I wouldn't have wanted to have a hedgehog anyway because some of the dorms don't have air conditioning. I wouldn't want to have to keep him cool. Just look into some specific schools and you'll be fine
MLHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Even if a dorm allows small pets, pretty much all of them will have a policy against heating devices like space heaters or CHEs because they're considered a fire hazard when left unattended. The central heating/cooling of dorms really can't be relied on, in my experience. Living in an apartment near campus would be a better option as far as that goes, but if that's not a possibility, there might be other housing options other than living in a dormitory building. However, that sort of thing isn't usually available to freshmen. So, a heating setup for the hedgehog is another thing to consider when looking at housing options.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I know my college only allowed fish tanks up to 10 gallons. If you were found with an animal on campus, you'd get kicked off. Also, anything that heats was banned, too.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in