Taking Mochi to school with me - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Taking Mochi to school with me

I am a first year med student that spends most of my free time sitting at a table or sofa studying. Mochi has gotten confortable sitting in my lap or snuggled in a blanket/pillow as I study. I would like to continue studying with her because its the best time for us to bond and play. However, I would like to start studying at school in the study rooms so I can interact with other students for help.

Would bringing her with me be too much of a stressor for her? For the most part, the rooms are quiet but they can get loud if the other students are not being too studious. Also, the lighting is very bright. I plan on bringing her in a small cloth bag I have with the blanket she uses when I study to keep her comfortable. I know that is she's scared she will poop more which I don't mind cleaning up quickly, but I'm worried that the other students will be disgusted and confused on why I brought her.

Any opinions?

Jen
xljenlx3389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Taking Mochi to school with me

I dont think many people will be bothered by her, especially since hedgehog poo isnt all that big. The only thing that might annoy people is the smell Take it from me, some hedgies have such a strong scent. And as long as its nice and dark in her hedgie bag, she should be okay. If anything your peers will be intrigued by your pet

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Libraries can get pretty noisy, even in study rooms. Another thing that I would be concerned about is getting caught with the animal on school premises. It could mean that you would have rehome her if you're living in the dorms.

I would leave Mochi home and study part time at the library with your friends and study at your dorm too with Mochi. That way you know that she is in a safe comfortable place and she won't get too stressed.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I agree with Rainy. I'd leave her at home and not risk her being stressed or cold.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy
Libraries can get pretty noisy, even in study rooms. Another thing that I would be concerned about is getting caught with the animal on school premises. It could mean that you would have rehome her if you're living in the dorms.

I would leave Mochi home and study part time at the library with your friends and study at your dorm too with Mochi. That way you know that she is in a safe comfortable place and she won't get too stressed.
+1
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know why you would bring her because the library would tell you to leave with your hedgehog. i wouldn't go for it
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

The study room is not in the library and there is no supervision or administrators to police our actions. The only posted rules for the study rooms involve cleaning, leaving food behind, and saving electricity. I have seen other individuals bring their cats to school so bringing an animal does not seem to be a big deal and like Squiggy said an intriguing diversion.
xljenlx3389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

I guess it depends on Mochi too. Like Opal loves going out she likes looking around and isn't scared at all. But if Mochi is a nervous type it might be better off to leave her home.
As far as how the library and your peers will react whats the worst they can do in the library? Tell you to go home. They can't kick you out unless like someone else said your not allowed to animals in dorms or on school premeis. But you stated that that seems not to be a problem so I say go for it.
Maybe bring her a little water, food and a paper towel and small baggie for poop.
But you also got to think, will she distract you from studying? Or will your peers like attack you with questions and talking about her also distracting you from studying.

I guess I'm half and half. lol I personally would bring opal if I could though.

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Some libraries can be cold and vary in temperature that is important to keep in mind
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Taking Mochi outside in the winter should be cause for concern too. They need a steady temp of 75-80 or so, depending on the hedgie.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in