hedgie at school? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgie at school?

Well, at school in reading we are reading a story with a hedgehog in it. It's name is Stickly-Prickly. And my teacher told a story about a student that used to go to my school. It begins like this: Once, a girl brought (to school) a hedgehog named Bob. And one day, Bob had babies. But the girl was so used to calling the hedgehog Bob that she kept calling Bob Bob...
Anyways, my teacher says that whenever I get a hedgehog that I can bring he/she in to school as long as he/she is in a container. And I plan to let only my 2 best friends touch he/she. Simply because I only have 2 friends and I'm afraid people might get pricked and drop he/she. Anybody have any tips about keeping a hedgehog at school for a day?

RIP to a gorgeous, clever, adventurous, grumpy little hog- Freya. 4.14.10-7.17.14.
hedgiesrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy
Default Re: hedgie at school?

my biggest is tip is dont do it...it puts unnecesary stress on the little one just so you can show it off. especially since it would have to be there all day. you would have no way to regulatetemperature or make sure no one was harassing her while she needed to be sleeping, she is nocturnal so she needs to sleep during the day and be awake at night.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

well, ok then! if it's better for the hedgie, then i probably won't do it. but would it be ok if i only kept the hedgie there just for the morning with a heat lamp? or is that bad, too? i was thinking that my teacher could lock the door if we were away...would bringing the hedgehog on a half day be better? or would it be all a bad, stress-causing idea?

RIP to a gorgeous, clever, adventurous, grumpy little hog- Freya. 4.14.10-7.17.14.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy

I would probably say not a good idea at all. sorry bud, but it is the same reason my 12 year old daughter can't take dora to school with her.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

okay. i guess i'll just tell my teacher that it would be stressful to the hedgie. well, at least i can bring pictures.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

if your mom or dad could go to school with you in the morning, you could show everyone like a show and tell for a few minutes then they could take him or her home?
sagesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: hedgie at school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagesmommy
if your mom or dad could go to school with you in the morning, you could show everyone like a show and tell for a few minutes then they could take him or her home?
I agree. That would be less stressful and at least people would see him/her.
HedgiLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

My opinion differs, as I have known several people that have carried their hedgies to school (including myself). My son did a report on exotic animals in 3rd grade, and I went with him that day and took in one of my hedgehogs for his class to view. I took hand sanitizer with me, and allowed any of the kids to touch/rub the hedgies back to see what the quills felt like. I also made sure that I took one of my most social hedgehogs, that never rolls in a ball and does not mind being handled. I do caution that you NEVER allow your classmates to hold your hedgehog.....due to the risk that they may get scared and drop your hedgie....and due to the possiblity that the hedgehog may get frightened and bite someone. I do agree that the temperature needs to be regulated, so be cautious when carrying it to school during the Winter.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

It depends entirely on the hedgehog. Some would be fine visiting at a school and others would be terrified and stress out. Wait until you get your hedgehog and get her used to you for quite a while first.

It would be best if you can be driven to school and hedgie go home after you show him/her around. That would cause the least stress.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
It depends entirely on the hedgehog. Some would be fine visiting at a school and others would be terrified and stress out. Wait until you get your hedgehog and get her used to you for quite a while first. It would be best if you can be driven to school and hedgie go home after you show him/her around. That would cause the least stress.
I agree, good point Nancy!
Since I'm a breeder, I have several to choose from. But you should definitely wait and bond with your hedgehog first. Find out and learn about its own individual personality. Some hedgies love the extra attention, and others are scared to be removed from their familiar environment. If you have a grumpy hedgie, you definitely don't want to take it to school.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in