Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - New Picky Hedgehog
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
valkyrie

Default New Picky Hedgehog

Hey All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. My girlfriend and I got a new hedgehog this past Saturday. We named him Griswold and he's such a sweet little guy, very social, and doesn't necessarily burrow or hide as much as hedgehogs previous. However, because of that fact we're kinda worried about his appetite (or lack thereof). He's a tubby dude and so in our minds he should probably be eating more than he is. Granted, he's in a new home and so there's probably some stress on him even though he's so mellow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had prior experience with a hedgehog taking a while to come around to eating anything and how long.

Thus far we've tried pea-flavored baby food (we'll probably try some mango that we got for him tonight), mealworms, hedgehog/innova mix food as well as just the innova, and all he's eaten is a minimal amount of the cat food and water. I'm in contact with the breeder and she said she gave him blue buffalo and iams(ugh), so if he continues to be picky we'll buy some and wean him onto what we have if we can.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight anyone has to offer. It's great to finally join the HHC forums!
valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote