Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - handling your hedgehog
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
HedgieGirl519

Default Re: handling your hedgehog

To me, handling is holding the hedgehog and bonding is having the hedgehog out of his/her cage.

When I hold them and check their skin, feet, nails, ears, eyes, skin, etc. To me, this is handling. I'm getting them use to my touch. But bonding depends on the personality.

For cuddlers, bonding is letting them sleep on my lap. During this time she is getting use to my scent and presence.
For expolorers, bonding is letting them explore the bed, floor or desk where I am sitting. During this time they are getting use to my scent and presence.
For anti-socials, bonding is either sitting next to their cage talking quietly or letting sit, covered up, on my lap. During this time they are getting use to my scent and presence.

I think letting them sleep on your lap during the day is good for bonding, regardless of the personality. Unless of course you have one that is so adventurous that he/she won't sleep when he/she is outside of the cage. Generally they sleep during the day though, so it's good bonding time. So I do that in the day. Then at night I handle them, like I wrote above, then bond with them more letting them do whatever they want, in my presence.
HedgieGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote