Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Is Beach Bum Hedgehogs ACTUALLY a good breeder?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
HedgieGirl519

Default Re: Is Beach Bum Hedgehogs ACTUALLY a good breeder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeQuarters
- Because they dont ask alot of questions before you buy a hedgie is just being polite. They dont feel the need to budge in to your personal business. Not only that but as a hedgehog breeder myself you pretty much get the just of it just from talking to the person. You can tell whether or not they are serious or just looking to waste your time. I dont agree that it is right for breeders to ask 50 questions first and anylize you with stupid questions that dont have anything to do with the hedgehog or does not matter.

-Recomend using against fabric fibers. I would too, because if the hedgehog chews on and swallows the fabric fibers they can get wrapped around inside the stomache and can die. Also if they get them around their feet or their arms they can lose blood flow and their arm or leg would have to be amputated. So in a sence that is smart.
I need to respectfully disagree with you.

I feel that a good breeder needs to ask questions. A breeder who will sell a hedgehog from asking no questions isn't a good breeder. You have no clue how that hedgehog will be treated or if the new owner knows anything about hedgehogs, or even has the right information. A different breeder that I have a deposit with asked to fill out a questionnaire with about 30-40 questions. None of the questions were stupid/pointless. There was questions were about the caging, wheel, nail cutting, grooming, food, lighting, heating, handling, cleaning, other pets, age, children, etc. All of which are important. Who would sell to someone without knowing that they actually are knowledgeable about hedgehogs? IMHO, that's a bad breeder. Because to me, they come off as if they don't care about the hedgehogs.

Fabric liners are the most recommended bedding on this forum, mostly fleece. If a hedgehog chews and swallows pet bedding they could die as well. They would only get strings around their feet or legs if you didn't make the liners properly. If you use no-pill fleece, you are fine. If you use flannel or cotton and sew it, you'll be fine.