Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Average time on wheel?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
GoodandPlenty

Default Average time on wheel?

Lilyhogs' post about establishing a current thread on food mixes that people use, and abzx10r's comment,

https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...hp?f=6&t=17819

prompted me to wonder about getting data on average wheel times. There are lots of anecdotal mentions, but I've never found much in one place.

In the last 30 days, Sophie has ranged from a low of 1 1/2 hours to a high of 4 1/2 hours, and is averaging between 2 3/4 and 3 hours per night.

Two nights under 2 hours (1 1/2 and 1 3/4). Twelve nights over 2 hours. Fourteen nights over 3 hours, Two nights over right at 4 1/2 hours.
.................................................. .................

What is average? How long per night to be considered 'a runner'? I've seen many, many references about hedgies running for hours on end, but data is hard to come by.

Sophie gets an hour of runaround time in her play area each night. Some nights she runs around like crazy. Other nights she's not really into it and wants to camp out somewhere. I am usually taking her off her wheel for time in the play area (10pm or 11pm).

I don't have anything reliable for average speed or distance. I'm getting readings of well over 6 mph average speed and nightly distances in the range of 15 - 20 miles. Every night. I am certain that the odometer is set correctly. This was discussed, if not entirely adequately, in another thread. I finally decided that she is stopping and starting, and that if she happens to stop when the sensor and magnet are lined up it is throwing the readings way off. The wheel will swing back and forth quite a few times, giving her credit for a lot wheel turns that aren't really happening.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote